Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] How to reduce central apnea?
How to reduce central apnea?
For years my AHI has ranged from 6/7 (seldom) to 10-12 (typical), mostly central. I awaken maybe 1 morning a month feeling refreshed. Until a month ago I had left my Dreamstation Auto CPAP at the store-set prescription 7.0 cm, no ramp, no flex. About a year ago I cracked open the clinician manual and added ramp and flex. Not much difference.  EXPERIMENTS: (1) A month ago I set Auto 5-15 cm. Seemed a bit better. (2) For 2 days I tried fixed 5.5 cm. Worse-ever AHI. (3) For 2 days I tried fixed 8.5 cm. Results: AHI similar to best days historically.

The 1 page summary below (click to enlarge) compares (1) and (3). For (1) those 2 days of the 1 month auto 5-15 happened to be exceptional - AHI in the 6 range. For (3) AHI also in the 6 range but strikingly, very little OA and HA.

Observation: In Events Flags there appears to be a significant co-incidence of CA, PP, and VB.

QUESTION: Do the charts indicate other adjustments I can try to reduce central apneas? I intend to stay on (3) 8.5 cm fixed for 1 week, then move on to settings (4?), (5?) .... Grateful for any help, and ready to send more charts/info as needed.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to reduce central apnea?
Please read the link in my signature “Formatting OSCAR Charts” and repost individually. We use those specific charts to make recommendations.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board,

It does appear the CA will be an issue. Given that they're still present, it's possibly a pre-dominant Central Apnea issue. Without the sleep study info would be the main reason I say possibly.

What you'll need to try is very little variables, flex to minimum, probably no pressure variable along the lines of this 8.5. The bad news about it is it may not get better than this with the machine you've got available here.

With Central Apnea, expect it to be consistently inconsistent, that variable up then down thing you've noticed on CA.

Your best answer is if you're able to get either a ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV or similar. Philips Respironics has the SV Auto, others might have something similar, but I know the most about these 2, with having used the ResMed ASV myself.

I'm saying this due to your statement that CA have been the issue for a year plus. This might have been your Apnea issue all along.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Really appreciate the info and the insights. Last night the 3rd at 8.5 cm. Three AHI in a row around 6 is unprecedented in the 4.5 yrs I've been on CPAP! Averaging 1 OA/HA per hr, 5 CAs. I will post new charts tomorrow as recommended. I will continue 8.5 cm for the planned week. If a solid week I'm thinking of trying 8.0 cm for a week, maybe Auto 7-8.5. Other recommendations welcome.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anybody have CPAP success for central apnea who live at altitude? shallbreathe 11 205 07-31-2024, 03:12 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Anyone try myofunctional / orofacial excercises to reduce AHI ? DS123 6 1,496 07-29-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: papadapadoo
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 25 4,053 07-28-2024, 09:01 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  How to reduce my events? slipperslacroix 5 202 07-27-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  CPAP-induced central apneas? nycteach 11 436 07-21-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: Narcil
  Central apnea and EEG Mark Sullivan 5 228 07-13-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Am I really having central apnea? KittyCatNapper 6 310 07-13-2024, 12:39 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.