Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Making my own settings
RE: Making my own settings
Would turning up my minimum pressure by a point or turning off EPAP help limit my CA events? I'm down to just one level of pressure relief after reducing it from three over several weeks.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to wear the collar for long. I started waking up with an aching jaw, because I was clenching my teeth all night. Apparently forcing my mouth closed while I sleep will do that, though I don't think I was grinding my teeth. I haven't tried mouth taping, since I'm afraid the same thing will happen. I'm pretty well practiced with keeping my tongue on the roof of my mouth while sleeping, so I don't dry out too badly. I'm using a fairly flat travel pillow (stuffed with natural wool) and sleeping on my side much of the time.

My sleep has been pretty good on average, but my central apneas aren't entirely controlled. Some nights' sleep are much more refreshing than others, and several nights a week, I wake with a noticeable headache, or even feeling a bit groggy.

Any suggestions are welcome. I have had my 30-day follow-up video appointment with my sleep doctor, who basically said 'keep up the good work" and offered no real insights. I know a lot of people struggle with CPAP therapy far more than I do, and nothing is ever going to be 100% perfect, especially since I'm getting older, but it seems like there are still some elements of my therapy which could improve.

This is a typical good night.

And a couple of not so good nights, where I woke up with a headache.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Making my own settings
If these CA events are typical, they're high compared to the rest of the chart, but in practical terms they're not extremely high. Over the 8-9ish hours sleep, even 15 or so CA aren't terrible.

It is possible some CA might even be sleep position changes causing breath holds. I'd almost begin treating the other events more than operating in CA avoidance. Unless this means the CA multiply.

CA avoidance means settings like low or no EPR, minimal pressure range, etc. Treating CA versus the rest is like the teeter-totter effect. CA are on one side and the rest are on the opposite end. Acts to push down CA will very likely elevate the others and vice versa, also at the expense of comfort.

One possible action is to trial lessening the CA avoidance actions. See if therapy becomes better overall.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] 8 Month old Resmed Airsense 10 making a whirring noise JonMichael85 8 16,227 08-23-2024, 05:57 PM
Last Post: xirokx
  New and making sense of results Sassycat 9 345 07-14-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: Sassycat
  [Equipment] ResMed making noise at altitude GManCPAP2019 1 303 06-24-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: ArcherNeedsSleep
  Request for help making sense of my CA numbers and guiding further treatment jostlereptile 18 909 06-22-2024, 03:31 PM
Last Post: jostlereptile
  F40 mask making a pitched whine noise on inhale? alwyns42 7 713 06-08-2024, 08:48 PM
Last Post: brokensleep57
  [Equipment] AirCurve 10 with side cover making noise melbell 2 386 04-28-2024, 02:32 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 1,348 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.