Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Palatal prolapse mitigated with positional therapy.
Cool 
Palatal prolapse mitigated with positional therapy.
I have been struggling with palatal prolapses (PPs), which I successfully mitigated with Alaxo Hybrid Stent. See:
Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread 1 2 3 4 ) 
Nevertheless, you can find an alternative and less demanding mitigation approach based on positional therapy below. 

I noticed that the frequency and length of my PPs are lower during side sleeping than in the supine position due to the effect of gravity on the position of the soft palate. Hence, I tried to sleep on my stomach, but I could not maintain that position for long because of terrible neck pain. I tried to sleep face down with a special bed arrangement (like a massage table), but it placed unbearable pressure on my forehead. Finally, I found this product:
MedCline Shoulder Relief Wedge and Body Pillow System

I covered it with a five-inch memory foam but left the hole open for my right arm and shoulder. I added a five-inch thick soft memory foam pillow, too. I did not put the Body Pillow over the wedge  (contrary to the manufacturer's suggestion); instead, I placed it around the wedge to support my head and the added pillow. When the Body Pillow, the 5-inch pillow and the wedge are correctly arranged, I can sleep a bit face down and maintain this position without shoulder or neck pain the whole night. I also used the following device to prevent turning on my back (although my locked-in shoulder mainly restricts my position).
Side sleep enforcer for positional apnea

Outcome: 
There are 1-3 days/week when I have no PPs. On the rest of the days, I have 10-40 minutes. I understood that my success depends on my head position; a slight misalignment can make my PPs worse. It took about four months of experimenting, but finally, I managed it. 

However, the stent is more effective and manageable without all these hurdles.  However , I had an issue with the stent, which I will report soon  in 
Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread 1 2 3 4 )     
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Palatal prolapse mitigated with positional therapy.
Pressure pulses are the machine's way to test airway restrictions, did you zoom in on their waveform data, if not post those where they overlap in this thread. Make it easy to diagnose your issues please.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Palatal prolapse mitigated with positional therapy.
(33 minutes ago)Phaleronic Wrote: Pressure pulses are the machine's way to test airway restrictions, did you zoom in on their waveform data, if not post those where they overlap in this thread.  Make it easy to diagnose your issues please.

Huhsign
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Palatal Prolapse? Other advice welcome sleepyqueue 4 246 10-03-2024, 09:53 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Controlling Positional sleep apnea GeorgeGus 5 443 09-10-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Increases in pressure not stopping OAs? Positional apnea? imtiqurr 10 520 08-29-2024, 06:15 PM
Last Post: imtiqurr
  Preventing positional apneas, flat pillow or not? Newcpaper 7 425 08-27-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  I'm using AlaxoStent with PAP therapy to fix Palatal Prolapse SleepyCPAP 20 3,511 07-20-2024, 03:26 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Positional Apnea and going for CPAP EddyDee 27 3,694 06-30-2024, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Fantasieimpromptu
  Clenching caused by Positional Apnea (or vice versa)? SteveIsTired22 2 274 06-28-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.