Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Relationship between EPR and Flow Limitations
RE: Relationship between EPR and Flow Limitations
Hi OpalRose, 

Thanks for your response  Smile  

I have gone back and re-read the post and the links but I'm still not quite understanding the why - on a physiological level. The closest I could find was in the Barry Krakov link, where it says:

"Still, it would be nice to have a respiratory physiologist explain to us why the larger gap is so effective. As an internist and sleep medicine physician, there are only two obvious theories that stand out. First, what if we’ve always assumed, mistakenly, that airway pressure had to be constant for both inspiration and expiration? I think it has already been proven by other researchers that you actually need higher pressure to keep the airway pinned open on inspiration and a lower pressure on expiration. If that’s so, then is bilevel the best system because it provides the exact pressure you need (not too much and not too little) during expiration.

The second idea relates more to the psychophysiological response to PAP therapy. Maybe the larger gradient simply gives the patient a distinctly more comfortable feeling, because the lower pressure creates a feeling so much closer to breathing normally (without PAP). If this theory were accurate, though, it would imply that over time as you get used to any sort of PAP therapy, then perhaps the gap would narrow and eventually you could use fixed CPAP again. If this were true, I would expect more people to eventually adapt to fixed CPAP pressure, and I don’t believe that’s occurring."

I don't think that quite covers what's actually happening in the body, and why Pressure Support (or a difference between IPAP and EPAP) would help specifically with Flow Limitations. I expect I'm missing something that may be obvious to someone with a deeper knowledge of the topic...?
Post Reply Post Reply
With either CPAP and EPR or a bilevel with PS, when the device transitions back to lower exhale EPAP pressures, due to the pressure differential of the higher inhale IPAP from EPR or PS, there's a natural exhale advantage via that differential. This helps with keeping the airway patent as in "Medicine:
(of a vessel, duct, or aperture) open and unobstructed; failing to close.
"the patient is usually left with a patent vessel", while at the same time should add comfort to the user. It helps maintain the open, unrestricted aspect.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah I see, so sort of: on the inhale the lungs get filled at a pressure of (say) 15, and then the system pressure drops to 10 which helps the air in the lungs rush out down that pressure gradient. I think that makes sense, thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow Limit Error? MrIvanDrago 7 129 Yesterday, 11:09 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Leaks and Flow Rates cyberfiche 4 200 10-02-2024, 10:38 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Weird Flow Rate Pattern Started 3 days ago Dodies 2 83 09-30-2024, 11:42 PM
Last Post: Dodies
  is this flow limitation? shyguy 2 207 09-30-2024, 10:00 PM
Last Post: shyguy
  Flow Limits How to Upgrade CPAP to Bilevel Deborah K. 114 13,621 09-29-2024, 06:57 PM
Last Post: Fixit50
  How do I lower flow limits on my ASV? apneavolt 5 120 09-29-2024, 05:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  What else causes flow limits? StevesSp 6 966 09-26-2024, 10:09 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.