Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] jlavins1 - chart help / preparing for doctor's appointment
Question 
jlavins1 - chart help / preparing for doctor's appointment
Hi everyone,

I'm brand new here, six weeks into CPAP therapy, and a little lost.  I'd like to get a better understanding of my treatment efficacy so far, especially since my daytime sleepiness has not really improved.  

I am hoping some of you might give me a little feedback on my charts?  I notice that my AHI is higher than many of the charts posted here.  I also appear to have several CAs each night, and I'm wondering if that is a problem.  My sleep study (a 2-night home study) noted OAs and hypopneas, but it counted zero "unclassified apneas" and did not reference CAs at all.

Additionally, my first follow up with my pulmonologist is coming up.  Like so many of us, I don't have a real relationship with him, but I want to make the most of the appointment.  What questions do you think I should ask based on my data?  Should I bring any OSCAR data with me to the appointment?

Thanks in advance -- this an awesome community, and the active responses to questions are incredibly helpful to newbies like me.  It's really nice of everyone to share their knowledge.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: jlavins1 - chart help / preparing for doctor's appointment
My general comment is that like many of us let loose in the wilds of CPAP land, you were given a machine with no guidance on how to proceed. Your current settings are the default and of no real use. I expect the your doc will only look at your hours used and if meeting the minimum of 4 hours per night, will send you off with a hearty handshake.

For your settings, I suggest going to a baseline that we can use to tweak things for therapy and comfort.

Mode APAP
Min pressure 8
Max pressure 15
EPR 3 full-time
No ramp

That should be much more comfortable, reduce the flow limitations, reduce the pressure swings, and hopefully give a better nights rest. After a few nights post more OSCAR charts and folks help can tweak from there.
Post Reply Post Reply
Agreed with the setting edit.

You'll be able to edit the CPAP yourself, legally. Doc may complain about it, but don't be overly concerned. Be armed with this info, what you changed and why, with the results as a bonus.

Go here to get you CPAP manual to learn about how to do the edits:

https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the suggestions!  Your "hearty handshake" comment gave me a laugh.  That is *exactly* what I expect will happen, too.  That's why I thought I'd bring the OSCAR data with me to see if he'll at least engage with it... we'll see what happens.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chart Reviewing SKPC 17 404 10-01-2024, 07:10 AM
Last Post: SKPC
  Mild sleep apnea, doctor recommended a dental appliance but not sure how to proceed. MysticEcho 5 270 09-20-2024, 08:04 AM
Last Post: nightgagger
  Interpret Oscar chart please fudo 8 468 09-19-2024, 03:56 AM
Last Post: fudo
  Upload Data to Doctor with Mac westonjazz 5 2,057 09-10-2024, 12:16 PM
Last Post: weepingwillow
Information [CPAP] Aircurve 11 Oscar Chart WeaponizedCactus 7 367 09-05-2024, 01:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  have autism and need help with my chart bigboyjared 7 227 09-04-2024, 08:08 AM
Last Post: bigboyjared
  Please help me interpret Oscar chart sriteop 11 428 08-27-2024, 02:54 PM
Last Post: sriteop

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.