Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Treatment suggestions for mild sleep apnea
Treatment suggestions for mild sleep apnea
Hello- I am a 45 year old male with normal BMI, I completed a home sleep study in May 2024, 2 nights, 1st night had 5.4 AHI (non supine 3.9) and 2nd night had 7.7 AHI (non supine 3.0).  I was previously diagnosed with UARS in 2019 based on an in-lab sleep study ( 10.7 RDI but all in supine position, 0 in non-supine).  I goto sleep at 10pm and get up at 6am, and get up every night at 3am and rely on ambien to get me back to sleep. I feel pretty good most days, but the days that i get less than 6 hours sleep I feel tired, moody, and don't enjoy life as much. In general I feel pretty well, exercise every day, don't sit down or rest, but i do have the feeling that i am coping with sub-optimal quality of life.
I started using sleep noodle positional therapy about a month ago and mouth and throat exercises a couple days ago.  Also i started a CBT program, and with sleep restriction have cut ambien way down and feel i will probably get rid of it for good!  However, i am only sleeping 6.2 hrs per night and am wondering if i am taking the best route here.  
I have seen 2 doctors, one is recommending i do another sleep test to see how positional treatment is working, and another is suggesting i go on APAP.  Doing a sleep test and followup will set me back a month and a half and part of me wants to just go ahead now and try APAP.  Any suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Treatment suggestions for mild sleep apnea
Hi clegge242! - Welcome
While Ambien (Zolpidem) is not considered addictive, it does create a physical dependency for sleep. Just ask my wife. She can no longer sleep unless she takes one. If you take this more than 3 nights in a row, I would consider trying something else, like Benadryl (Diphenhydramine).

As far as your sleeping hours, here is a link to a sleep calculator webpage that uses Circadian rhythm to calculate times to go to sleep based on the hours you wish to sleep or when you need to awake. If nothing else, it is a cool site to play around on. Smile
https://sleepopolis.com/calculators/sleep/

Your AHI and RDI seem so low that I would also consider other causes, like bedding or sleeping environment.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the at-home sleep studies. Having gone through a lab sleep study, having more wires attached to you than a modern day engine has, I find it very hard to believe the accuracy, as well as, the specific conditions that are causing any event. But, that's just me. Ultimately, it is your decision. If they are your only 2 options, I think I'd pick up a slightly used Resmed Autoset 10. At least if it experiences an event, it can do something about it, and not wait ill the next day to tell you that you had a problem. One caveat, mask selection can be a whole new adventure, but that's for another post.

Good luck! Keep us in the loop about your decision and experiences. That's how we all learn.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
Project Manager for OSCAR - Open Source CPAP Analysis Reporter
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. My doctor is wanting to test to see if the sleep positioning device is getting my AHI and RDI down below 5 and then consider that good enough. My issue is that I am only sleeping 6 hours per night and am able to get through the day okay but i have a feeling i am not at my best.
Maybe i will ask him if i can start APAP and then the night of the home sleep test just use the sleep positioner...
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm finding most doctors have a "one size fits all" approach. They also can't get you a machine on insurance if your AHI is under 5, 'cos they get paid on, yep, getting your AHI under 5. Same with the DME. But that figure doesn't mean you're sleeping well, as thousands of posters on this board can attest to.

If you don't need to use insurance, I would get a unit and get help here with settings. Re-sell the unit if it doesn't get you where you want to go.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Complex Sleep Apnea Questions bh1332 5 108 57 minutes ago
Last Post: bh1332
  New to CPAP, changed min pressure to 7, need suggestions? namastelondon235 5 145 10-19-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help With CPAP Treatment (Oscar Help) Bosox6177 2 108 10-19-2024, 12:02 AM
Last Post: Bosox6177
  Greetings From India - Is it Sleep Apnea or GERD or Anxiety ? EastWeekender 8 206 10-18-2024, 10:11 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question Central Apnea - Treatment Emergent vs Altitude ausername 4 196 10-17-2024, 05:50 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Thumbsup [Diagnosis] New issues after 4 years of treatment Compton2233 4 214 10-17-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: Compton2233
Idea Generator Suggestions For CPAP Machine? edenmaker 10 363 10-15-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: FLcracker

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.