Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Trialing a Dreamstation (2?) for 4 weeks
RE: Trialing a Dreamstation (2?) for 4 weeks
(02-20-2024, 07:27 PM)NeedSleepPlease Wrote: Now that ive upped it to 6, the 95% says 7.5, would that indicate that I could be more comfy at a higher number? Or am I not quite understanding this bit yet?

No, the median pressure shows 6.0 and the 95% pressure reflects the automatic 1.5 cm pressure test conducted every 20 minutes over 1.5 minutes that is built into the stupid Philips algorithm.  That is meaningless except for the one exception at 04:00. You could set this device to minimum 6.0 and maximum 6.0 and there would be no difference in efficacy, and the periodic pressure spikes would go away.  If you haven't noticed, I'm not a fan of the Philips algorithm, and would prefer fixed pressure for those that can use it like you.  In fact based on the residual FL and H events, I recommend setting that to 6.5/6.5, and would have no problem with CPAP mode rather than auto CPAP.

I can't begin to tell you how much better off you will be with a Resmed device.  We have U.S. sites selling the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset card to cloud as low as $269 USD. Even if they charge shipping, you can't lose.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sadly, most USA websites dont sell to New Zealand, whilst the shipping would be several hundred dollars, they simply dont cater for my countries market, which is why a new ResMed 10 in NZ is $1970. Also dealing with warranty issues might be tricky if I literally cant take the machine back to a store and would have to post it overseas (again, several hundred dollars), would a device sold from the USA even cover me with a warranty? Most likely not (going on past experiences).

There is a second-hand ResMed10 locally for $1000, thats only got "about 1000 hours" on it, which I am considering, cus thats half the price of a new one, and 1000 hours seems pretty low if they last 15-20k hours.
Post Reply Post Reply
And now I learn that the Gel Pillow Mask ive finally gotten use to.. is discontinued and I wouldn't be able to keep purchasing them even if I want too (ive scoured the internet, theres only 1 NZ company selling the pillow alone for $97 but I get the feeling that they are going out of philips stuff all together as they dont have any frames in stock etc. So far, hiring a Philips device has been nothing but trouble and I am extremely annoyed that I got used to something.. that is no longer available. I think im going to be very firm about getting my money back for the trial, but we shall see.
Post Reply Post Reply
For shipping to NZ, get a quote from Supplier #2. They are not the least expensive option for purchasing a device here, but they have a great reputation for overseas sales and warranty support.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for that! Ive just this morning found a local seller whos got RedMes 10's with 1500 hours on them (they used to sell machines overseas) for $750NZ which is a BARGAIN (as they are $2000 new here) which is cheaper than getting one from an american website. Ive emailed my Dr just to make sure theres no funding for machines in NZ (pretty sure there isnt), and if they say No, then ill go ahead and get one of the 1500hr machines. Theres a local website that does 14 day money back guarantee for buying a mask (ResMed P30i nose-pillow and frame $290) so I guess I would try a ResMed mask through them and if its horrible, return for a refund.

I slept without the CPAP last night for the first time in 3 weeks and wow, what a sh*t sleep Too-funny I swear I was awake every 2mins for the entire night and I couldnt even go for my walk this morning, just sitting here like a zombie, I feel like ive been hit by a bus!
Post Reply Post Reply
My last Resmed went about 24000 hours and never quit, but had a motor life exceeded message. 1500 hours is nothing.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Oh wow, 24k is a lot!

So there are two second-hand machines available: an Autoset 10 for $1000 from one seller, and a Fixed 10 for $750 from another seller. You said above that you think I could get away with a Fixed pressure CPAP? Not sure if I should get the Fixed 10, or get the $1000 Autoset from the other seller, if the Autoset will allow me more options in future if my therapy needs change then maybe thats the better purchase? Trying to make an informed decision when I dont know what im talking about Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
Either one is good, and both have similar features. With fixed pressure, we need to titrate a higher minimum pressure to proactively prevent events, while the Autoset can automatically raise pressure if and when needed. Either one is going to be a lot better than the Philips experience. In my opinion, the Autoset is easier and more foregiving to use, but with less than 1-AHI with the Philips, you're going to do great with either one. Fixed pressure can be less disruptive and more optimized in the long-run if you're patient enough to get it right. The Autoset gets that right out of the box.

I actually had the 24K hour machine refurbished for $230 USD at Supplier #28 and it is now a second machine without the motor life exceeded error. They do a new motor, reset the hours, clean and calibrate the machine. It is as good as new.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Ahh I see, thank you. Im not sure if I could handle a higher pressure than 6 because I stupidly didnt try it out before taking the machine back today (im waiting to hear if their Philips Rep will give me a refund or not), so perhaps I should go with the Autoset even though its more expensive, it gives me more options if I *cant* handle a setting higher than 6.

EDIT: forgot to add that the Autoset has bluetooth and the Fixed pressure only has an SD card. I do like being able to quickly check the app first thing in the morning, and import SD card later in the day to check OSCAR. Perhaps the Autoset is worth the extra $250?
Post Reply Post Reply
Your pressure range is really low and we can get this dialed in pretty quickly in either CPAP or Autoset mode. The Resmed machine is going to show us more of what is going on and the Autoset machine is specifically designed to identify flow limitation That is why I have a preference for it. I'm not familiar with a Bluetooth application with the Resmed Autoset. This may be an incorrect description, or the sd card may be equipped with Bluetooth. I would not base a decision on that unlikely feature.

Edit to add, there is a Resmed Airsense 10 CPAP that has fixed pressure, but does not provide detailed therapy data. Another fixed pressure machine is the Elite and that has full efficacy data. If you are looking at a Resmed CPAP (brick), it is definitely worth upgrading to the Autoset. If it is an Elite, that at least has the full data and works with Oscar.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Three weeks in - Some questions SleepyDwarf123 6 1,016 09-29-2024, 07:16 AM
Last Post: SDM1
Question Silicone of new FF mask is hard for 2 weeks zeee1980 2 189 09-20-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  [CPAP] Best results in the first two weeks but not as much now ninjax99 4 370 08-25-2024, 09:17 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  First three weeks daBee 30 2,862 07-11-2024, 03:05 PM
Last Post: daBee
  Input after two weeks TacoCat 2 307 06-24-2024, 12:19 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Already at my wits end after 1.5 weeks… mainly chipmunk cheeks Slicedbread145 9 590 06-19-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: Slicedbread145
  newly diagnosed, 3 weeks cpap. Help! Al y gath 4 348 05-14-2024, 07:34 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.