Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Trying ASV Dangerous?
RE: Trying ASV Dangerous?
Your OSCAR chart looks pretty good IMO.  There are others with ASV experience and expertise that may want to post also.  

I felt just the opposite.  When I stopped breathing just before I would fall asleep with the ASV, it felt like the ASV was pacing my breathing and using pressure support to cause me to breathe instead of suffer a CA.  I got used to it.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
Yea thats probably exactly what it is doing. It is pacing my breathing because it probably sensed that i was starting to hyperventilate. I can see that on my Oscar graph because it reduces my respiration rate. Nonetheless, although my breathing was slowed down, I didn't feel necessarily that I was choking and still felt fine. Although me "noticing it" and focusing on it probably prevented me from relax enough to sleep (although i think i did eventually get some shut eye).
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't see where the ASV could have slowed respiration rate. It's algorithm maintains a 90-second average respiration rate by supplementing missed breaths, not preventing spontaneous breaths. You had no events and your maximum PS was about 10 cm. For the most part, the machines provided simple bilevel therapy at 12/9 pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Second night results are in. I've taken a screenshot of the respiration rate.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
There's a relation between respiratory rate and tidal volume, opposing one another. Bigger breath means slower rates. If one goes up the other falls. It won't be due to the ASV ventilating because that's not its design, at least not directly.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great calls here by Sleeprider and Dave.  Look at the pressure chart 1st.  When the ASV increases pressure, tidal volume increases with it.  The increase in tidal volume causes an almost perfectly inverted drop in respiratory rate.  This is how the ASV algorithm works.  It all starts with increases in pressure.  Minute ventilation stays fairly steady all night then.  And looking at my ASV data, when I am spontaneously breathing well, the ASV backs off in pressure (spontaneous breathing rate stays high and tidal volume a bit lower).
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad can resmed air mini be dangerous? curious 4 1,326 08-09-2020, 04:14 PM
Last Post: curious
  Is an Apnea close to 1 minute dangerous? elliotg 6 1,172 07-19-2020, 08:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Symptoms] Extreme Dangerous Dry Mouth Swindonian 10 2,628 12-17-2019, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Swindonian
  Exhalation Blockage/Catathrenia? Dangerous? ronlecroy 9 2,353 04-17-2018, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Is CPAP Pressure Dangerous? zonk 1 15,861 03-10-2012, 03:16 PM
Last Post: zonk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.