Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Unable to keep mask throughout night
Unable to keep mask throughout night
I've been using a CPAP since April of 2023, but have been unable to wear it throughout the night. I have used OSCAR to set the pressure range to a level that hat feels comfortable for me and a later titration study backs this up. I have attached my OSCAR readings below any thought on what might be causing this? 

Some Background on myself:
My sleep troubles began in late 2022, primarily characterized by frequent awakenings to drink water during the night. I went to my Primary care physician, who referred me for a sleep study which I got in January of 2023. Although I had difficulties sleeping in the sleep study and the study was not able record my rem sleep and I was recommended to consider a autopap this was in April of 2023. Since then I have been trying to wear the CPAP all night but always wake up and take the mask off - often unconsciously. In December of 2023 I got a titration study with a suggested range of 8-9 cm of H2O but I still have not been able to use a CPAP a full night.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Unable to keep mask throughout night
It looks like you did a bang-up job find excellent settings to treat your apnoea. I see nothing I would suggest changing. Regarding taking the mask off, it may take you a bit more time to adjust, but it is not a settings issue. You have to get in the right mindset to keep it on no matter what, but don’t beat yourself up if you take it off. It takes some longer than others to get comfortable with things.

One thing you can try if you want to experiment is increasing your pressure by 1 or 2 cmH2O to see if that is more comfortable. You can always just go back to these settings anytime you choose.

You can also try different masks to see if that helps. It looks like you are using a nasal mask, so try some nasal pillows or a full-face mask. 

It may not make any difference, but trying some different things may be the ticket.
Post Reply Post Reply
Usually taking off a mask means you are not getting enough air. I would raise both min and max up 1 and if you still have the problem raise both up one by more. See if that helps.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I notice that you have your Response setting set for Soft.  I may be wrong, but I think that is the same as the For Her setting offered under ResMed 10.  I had the For Her machine and found that I was more comfortable with the Standard setting.  You might feel better by switching Soft to Standard.  It can't hurt to try.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Huh, I never noticed that setting I'll give it a shot thanks!

(02-10-2024, 06:53 PM)PeaceLoveAndPizza Wrote: You can also try different masks to see if that helps. It looks like you are using a nasal mask, so try some nasal pillows or a full-face mask. 
I've tried nasal pillows but those either restricted air flow to much or leaked to easily. Full face might be the way to go but I hear that it's much easier to have a air leaks with those.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Difference between nasal mask, and full face mask setting Ynot 6 290 09-04-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  [Treatment] Unable to reduce my AHI shinky 4 164 08-28-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  First night with new mask. Check my OSCAR, please Schnova 3 237 08-22-2024, 04:09 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
Thumbsup Simple solution to prevent unconscious mask takeoff during night G. Szabo 5 332 06-04-2024, 11:53 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 1,551 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 6,938 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 753 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.