Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Unusual flow
Unusual flow
Reviewed my data last night and saw this unusual episode and was wondering if it was positional, a chin tuck, or something else.  
I attached 3 screen shots, the first 2 are an overview of the half hour episode, with all the graphs and machine settings.  The 3rd is a close up where the flow rate is easier to make out.

I am not sure what to make of it so that is why I thought about asking here to get some input from those that are much more knowledgeable about it than me.  
Thanks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Unusual flow
You had some recovery breathings flowed by Hs. But these might not be classified as true Hs.
I suggest increasing your maximum pressure because you are close to it or hitting the ceiling sometimes. What about setting the maximum to 10.4 cm?
Post Reply Post Reply
(4 hours ago)G. Szabo Wrote: I suggest increasing your maximum pressure because you are close to it or hitting the ceiling sometimes. What about setting the maximum to 10.4 cm?

Thank you for the reply.  I have been very slowly increasing the pressure, I make a small change and give it time for my body to adapt.  I am at around 35 days at these current settings.  This past month has been the best results so far.  But I know it should be better.

The epap is one roadblock for me, the last time I did an increase it took the epap to above 5 and produced worse results, so I increased the ps so the epap would max out at 5, so that is why there is a 4.4 difference instead of just 4.

So my question is should I also increase the pressure support to cap epap at 5 or will that larger difference create problems or should I keep ps at the 4.4 and just go up by .2 increments for both max ipap and epap?
Post Reply Post Reply
I apologize for not being clearer.
I suggest setting PS= 4.4 under AUTO; min EPAP=4, max IPAP= 10.4. This will give you a wider pressure window, so the AUTO can increase the pressure when the flow limit occurs, and you might avoid the recovery breathing periods leading to Hs.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is what I thought you meant.  I just got done changing the iPAP Max to 9.6. 
I am going to have to do this very slowly because with the PS at 4.4 when it reaches the max IPAP this will bring the EPAP up to 5.2. 
The last time I tried increasing EPAP above 5 it was causing problems.
The one graph that I didn't show in my previous screenshots was time at pressure, and the one thing I noticed that yet is it spends very little time at the max pressure so I think by doing a slow and steady change like this I might be able to adapt to it better and slowly work my way up. 

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Changing flow limitations Made 16 291 1 hour ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Help Me Understand Flow Limitations! usernameissleepy2396 2 57 3 hours ago
Last Post: Jay51
  Can someone explain how EPR reduces flow limitation? obstructedairway101 27 849 Yesterday, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Flow Rate/Limitation Question gr3gg0 10 341 10-25-2024, 12:16 AM
Last Post: THEVGE
  flow limitation due to poistion ? obstructedairway101 7 287 10-24-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: ruffybirdy
  EPR 1, hight flow limit, but lots of CA throwaway1242 8 331 10-19-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Switched to full face mask last night. Flow limitation increased obstructedairway101 13 454 10-18-2024, 08:36 PM
Last Post: obstructedairway101

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.