Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Using CPAP in a dusty environment
Using CPAP in a dusty environment
Every year I go camping in a location where many rv's and vehicles are parked close together. It's also an offroad recreation area so depending if there is a breeze or not, the air can become very dusty from people driving around. Its a very fine sand / silt type dust, which hangs in the air for hours, and I can tell just by looking at the air filter on the machine that it is not sufficient to filter out this fine dust. I'm not so much worried about breathing it, just worried about it getting into the inner parts of the machine that can't be cleaned.

Does anyone have experience using a CPAP in a very dusty environment like this? I was thinking of putting the machine in some sort of box or plastic storage bin with a pleated air filter like you'd use for a home's hvac system acting as a "pre filter" for the machine. But I'm not sure if the added resistance of another filter would cause any issues with the machine.

I use a ResMed AirSense 11 Autoset. Has anyone ever done something like this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Using CPAP in a dusty environment
I recall that someone taped a COVID mask to the exterior of the instrument, increasing the number of filters in this manner.
Post Reply Post Reply
You could put two filters in your machine, and it should filter a lot more.  Maybe change it after a few days as well.  I accidentally had two in mine for a month with no problem.  My machine is not an 11, but I imagine the space for the filter would be the same.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Try spraying the machine's filter with some hair spray. It doesn't take a lot and the spray will make it tacky, and will catch much of the dust. 

Your own idea sounds great, and I'm sure that it would be fine, as does the Covid mask taped over the filter intake port.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the suggestions! I will try my box idea, and update here when I do it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-12-2024, 11:51 AM)dodenboombie Wrote: Thanks for the suggestions! I will try my box idea, and update here when I do it.

I really like your box / filter idea.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Temperature of the sleep environment and Apnea correlation? CorruptAlligator 1 765 05-23-2021, 12:21 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Mouth dry staying at hotel; is it me or my environment? willo 2 2,261 12-21-2018, 02:26 AM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  [CPAP] Old machine dusty smell? gamblor 5 2,058 04-04-2018, 11:46 AM
Last Post: PsychoMike
  Dusty Smell and headaches KG101 16 5,250 01-17-2016, 10:27 AM
Last Post: DariaVader
  Taking cpap machine in a smoking environment SnuffySleeper 4 6,253 04-23-2014, 03:38 PM
Last Post: SnuffySleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.