Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please help....
RE: Please help....
Don’t be so quick to change things. Going from 16+ to 1.32 is a great success for AHI. 

How did she sleep? It looks like she used it for 4.5 hours and had good results. As she gets more comfortable with it hopefully she can tolerate it longer. 

Given her medical situation too many changes can be disconcerting to her. Let her have some time to adjust and hopefully have a more comfortable night. 

The remaining events are mostly OA and  hypopnoea’s, so if you do decide to change anything start with a bit more pressure, something like 5-12 PS 3. You could also try 4-12 PS of 4. I would not try increasing pressure and PS at the same time for now. One change at a time.
Post Reply Post Reply
A question on the Parkinsons, ask if it is impacting her breathing, if so ASV would be contraindicated.
IVAPS may be a better choice because, ASV is based on a 90 second moving average of her minute vent and with neuromuscular issues that could mean her volume would diminish over time. IVAPS is based on an assigned target volume to maintain and is much more controllable than an ASV. Think of IVAPS as an ASV on Steroids. IVAPS can handle anything an ASV can plus a lot more. If it was my mom i'd get the IVAPS. BUT, I don't have the details.
Post Reply Post Reply
To add to Gideon's information, iVAPS is "intelligent volume assured pressure support" and is provided by the Resmed Aircurve 10 ST-A. This is a respiratory assist device that, in addition to supporting spontaneous respiration, will treat hypoventilation, and maintain a target vent rate. The ASV is mainly to treat complex and central apnea and is very effective at treating periodic breathing, CSR and similar conditions, provided respiratory volume does not need supplemented with pressure support. There are strong indications that your mom should be using ASV or iVAPS, to treat the episodes of periodic breathing. Her median tidal volume is 280 mL and minute vent a 5 L/min, but since it varies so widely, we can 't rely on that measure alone.

I'm going to provide a link to the Resmed Clinical Titration Guide because you need to get up to speed on how ASV and ST-A works and what they are intended to treat. Read the sections starting at page 27 for ASV and 33 for ST-A. https://document.resmed.com/en-us/docume...er_eng.pdf
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I saw your message it was late at night, I already adjusted the machine. My father was the one who monitored her during the night and he told me she was very resistant to wearing the mask last night. 

I'm so sorry, I should've considered it more carefully when I adjusted the machine.

The report from last night. AHI 7.02 and a lot of CA events, I don't know why.
I am going back to the settings you suggested. She seems more comfortable with those settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the reply.

here's the result from last night, It seems her CA worsened yesterday compared to the previous night. and she's not feeling comfortable, so we have to go back to the previous settings

I'm not sure if her Parkinsons is impacting her breathing as the doctor didn't mention that while we were in the hospital. Nonetheless, we'll contact the seller and ask if they have IVAPS available.

thanks for the recommendation.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the additional information, I will read the guide, it seems very helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
Set PS=4 over 4-8

PS of 1 is not enough for her.
PS is what manages her flow limitations.
8 max IPAP to keep pressures low

She doesn't need high pressures, because she has no obstructive events

See the waxing waning pattern in the flow rate. In her case that is all CSR. If the gap between those groups was 10+ seconds that would be a textbook chart of CSR.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lann, please read the linked wiki article below on Cheyne-Stokes Respiration (CSR). Do not be overly alarmed as given your grandmothers medical situation it was not unexpected.

https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...espiration

It is something for you and others in the family to discuss with her medical team. We can help finding a comfortable setting for her to get her the best sleep we can whilst keeping her entire medical situation in mind. 

You are wonderful for doing this to help her. Thank you for giving us the chance to help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much, her AHI was 1 again, she even managed to wear it a bit longer this time, nearly 6 hours.

I can't thank you enough, we were completely clueless without your help, you people and this forum are lifesavers!

Here's the result, we will stick with these settings now until anything changes.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. Setting the PS higher helps, Her AHI was 1 yesterday. And she feels better as we lower the pressure.
This is the best result we have so far, so we'll stay with these settings for now.

Thanks for the suggestions, we really appreciate itSmile
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.