Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What is up with my breathing?
What is up with my breathing?
Hello everyone. I have been on APAP/CPAP for the last few months and have been using OSCAR to look at my sleep data. I will include 3 images of my OSCAR repost from last night. 

If you look at the two zoomed-in images I have included you can see that my breathing looks very different throughout the night. In one image my breathing looks very shallow. In the other image my breaths look very deep and almost shaped like an "oven mitt" (I know that's a weird analogy). 

Is it normal for my breathing to vary this much? Is it normal for my breathing to even look like that? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What is up with my breathing?
I can regularly see these dampened and spiky patterns during the same night. I interpreted them as follows. Often, my nose gets congested, and I have attributed these changes to the congestion leading to the damped (your first pattern example)
I would be interested in learning if I was correct. I use a nasal mask with mouth taping.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, thanks for the reply!

I do have nasal congestion which I suspect might be made worse by my deviated septum. Do you use anything to reduce your congestion (nasal spray)? Also what do you use to tape your mouth?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
I do not use any medication agains congestion because I am concerned about the side effects. However, you can find quite a few recommendations on this forum. 
I use 3M Nexcare tape  1" wide. I apply two pieces vertically , next to each other, from the base of may nose to below my chin.
Post Reply Post Reply
You might be able to use Flonase for the congestion.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have found that sinus rinses are by far the most effective way to keep congestion under control. I do one every night after a shower (use the bottle, NOT the pot), then I put some Ayr gel in my nose for the night. It's not perfect, but it's made a big difference for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is my experience with this damped breathing pattern: 
The higher I set the moisture, the less likely it is to appear. For instance, I cannot see it at manual humidity setting=7. Of course, you need to increase the tube temperature to reduce condensation. I am at 29 C tube temperature and using a hose cover, but I still have some condensation. But I am okay with it because I do not have a clogged nose or need medication.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you having any symptoms? That helps give us direction on recommendations.

I don’t see anything to be concerned with in those charts. There is some flow limited breathing in all the charts, which explains quite a bit. Your AHI, respiration rate, and tidal volume are fine. Your I:E ratio is what I would expect to see with flow limited breathing. 

The second chart shows the flow limitations as flat-topped breaths, followed by a recovery breath. The third chart looks like normal sleep breathing with some flow limited peaks, followed by what is considered an OA. it may or may not be an actual OA, but as there was a flow reduction prior to the breath hold it is logged as an OA.

The advise given by the folks is spot on. Start with simple things like nasal rinse and Flonase before looking for something more drastic.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, thanks for the replies everyone. I apologize for the delay in responding, I'm don't recall seeing an email about these recent comments. @PeaceLoveAndPizza I still feel quite fatigued despite being on APAP for the last 3 months. From what I have seen on this website, you should be feeling better after 3 months. Even despite the fatigue, I still wake up many times per night and my sleep is very fragmented. My AHI is good but I suspect that I might be waking up due to "non-apnea" arousals. I will try using a nasal rinse and flonase this weekend. Would you say that the breathing I posted (2nd and 3rd image) could be causing arousals?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] Very high amounts of periodic breathing / CSR ? gregbe2000 19 567 6 hours ago
Last Post: Dormeo
  Bad at Breathing Haldir 36 1,355 09-27-2024, 11:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] AHI suddenly high as well as PB and variable breathing tresero 5 218 09-24-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: tresero
  [Health] Breathing Exercises Better Sleep or not? seepapnyc 0 158 09-11-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: seepapnyc
  Periodic Breathing Strategies? mark.apnea 2 261 09-11-2024, 07:44 AM
Last Post: mark.apnea
  Odd breathing patterns katbrat 9 346 09-07-2024, 09:06 PM
Last Post: katbrat
  Resmed 10 vauto can hear breathing Officialdee 6 252 09-07-2024, 06:14 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.