Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does repeated mask inflation mean straps are too loose?
Does repeated mask inflation mean straps are too loose?
When I try a full face mask, such as a ResMed F20 or F40, I notice that when the machine starts there is a definite mask inflation: I feel the mask tightening, and there is an audible pop.

That part is OK. But, as I wear the mask, this keeps repeating, maybe once or twice a minute, sometimes more, sometimes less. It's very bothersome.

I'm thinking that the problem is that the mask is too loose, and the straps need to be tightened. When I do that, the inflation pop is lessened, but I can still feel a slight squeeze when the mask inflates. It still repeats at roughly regular intervals.

Is my thinking along the right track here, and that the problem is one of mask fit? Perhaps not tight enough, perhaps the wrong mask, perhaps the wrong size.

Perhaps this is where a ramp is helpful. (Mine is currently turned off.) Perhaps with a ramp this initial inflation won't happen until I'm asleep. Or is that wishful thinking?

(This doesn't happen with a nasal mask (e.g. P30i). I assume that's because there's nothing to inflate.)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does repeated mask inflation mean straps are too loose?
Hi SkySleep,

Please post a daily chart so we can see your pressure setup, mask popping and blowouts are indicative of too high of pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-01-2024, 10:23 PM)Phaleronic Wrote: Hi SkySleep,

Please post a daily chart so we can see your pressure setup, mask popping and blowouts are indicative of too high of pressure.

Here's last night's chart. Total of 37 min., none of which was while sleeping. After 37 min. I took the mask off and stopped the machine.

It will be a while before I try my next F40 (or F20) experiment, as I can't afford a sleepless night. I'm back to my P30i, with which I can sleep. I haven't used my F20 for a couple of weeks, but I don't recall any popping with it.

As I recall, last night I had the pressure at 6 - 12, and then after all that popping made it 6 constant. Do you think that was too much pressure?

The large leak after about 12 min. was when I took the mask off without first stopping the machine.

I've tried an F20, N30i, P30i, and F40 because all the advice I've seen suggests trying different types of masks when you're first starting out, as I am. So far the P20i is the winner for me. But I've heard so many good things about the new F40 that I wanted to try it, too.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
There is likely going to be a bit of mask movement while using a CPAP.

I'm not sure there's much I can get out of the chart if you didn't sleep. By not sleeping, you present to us a waking breath pattern, which can be very different from a sleep breath pattern.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Different masks will expand and contract, with larger full-face masks being much more noticeable than smaller hybrids or nasal masks or none at all with nasal pillows. I once used a Fit-Life mask after a facial surgery that was unusable as it rose and fell with pressure support. You are using EPR, that that 3-cm difference between inhale and exhale is enough to make the mask move around quite a bit. Tightening straps, changing masks, and reducing EPR or PS are all possible solutions. I notice you use nasal pillows in addition to the F20 or F40, so that is probably the best solution. Tightening the mask straps can reduce the inflation, but I think today's soft flexible masks are going to have some movement with changes in pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2024, 06:57 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Different masks will expand and contract, with larger full-face masks being much more noticeable than smaller hybrids or nasal masks or none at all with nasal pillows. I once used a Fit-Life mask after a facial surgery that was unusable as it rose and fell with pressure support. You are using  EPR, that that 3-cm difference between inhale and exhale is enough to make the mask move around quite a bit.  Tightening straps, changing masks, and reducing EPR or PS are all possible solutions.  I notice you use nasal pillows in addition to the F20 or F40, so that is probably the best solution. Tightening the mask straps can reduce the inflation, but I think today's soft flexible masks are going to have some movement with changes in pressure.

Thanks, Sleeprider. Very helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
Generally, full-face masks leak the most.  Stick with your pillows mask.  They leak the least of all the types.  Why did you switch?  Were you having mouth leaks?  If so, mouth tape works wonderfully well to stop leaks.  I thought I would hate it, but it is really quite comfortable.  Lots here like Cover Roll Stretch tape.  It works, but I like Theraband kinesiology tape lots better because it is so comfortable, though more costly.

Good luck finding a good solution! Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2024, 10:11 AM)Deborah K. Wrote: ... Why did you switch?  ...

Two reasons: (1) It seems people new to CPAP are advised to try several different masks, and (2) I would like to get comfortable with a full-face mask for the day when I have nasal congestion, because of a cold or whatever.

But the P30i will be my main mask, as I am having very good results with it. No dry mouth when I use it with very low pressure. See my other post about that:

https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread...ght-for-me

(You responded to that thread also.)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Difference between nasal mask, and full face mask setting Ynot 6 428 09-04-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 5 939 04-03-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: hejohoo
  P10 straps slipping acordeon 1 671 01-17-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] I have TMJ Syndrome and mask straps can aggravate it. KStanLD 7 1,593 07-14-2023, 02:02 PM
Last Post: Uphold9887
  P10 Mask Straps ----Allergic? Snorzz 11 3,195 05-13-2023, 10:14 AM
Last Post: maxquaas
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 3,437 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
Sad Traction Alopecia & Mask Straps Mayoko 5 7,440 03-23-2023, 07:18 AM
Last Post: jrolli1509

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.