Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

stomach cramps with cpap use
stomach cramps with cpap use
After a few years of regular use, last fall I found I couldn't use my cpap for more than an hour or so due to allergy issues (drainage in back of throat caused coughing & a tickling sensation that kept waking me).  I've finally gotten the allergies under control & am trying to use my cpap again.  Oddly, the blowing doesn't bother me  like it did in my early days.   I can sleep a full night on it - breathing-wise I'm uncomfortable without it ... but I have found that every single night I sleep a full night, I'm waking up with debilitating stomach cramps.  

I had occasional issues with that in the past and have been told it's incredibly rare, etc & that it coiuldn't be that.  All I can say is the pain is terrible upon waking up & lasts a few hours.  Stomach distension, sensitivity to waist bands, flatulence (sorry!)   My heating pad eases it slightly and slowly but it's untenable having this every morning.  Last night I had to turn the machine off as I woke up with those symptoms after 3 hours of sleep.    I've read that turning the pressure down could help.  I've just found my manual and  would  be interested in how much one would recommend turning it down and any other options one might try.    I just imported my data into my Oscar program only to be told that This CPAP device does NOT record detailed data. I do see that my pressure is set at 9.00 cmH20.   I haven't been on this forum in some time as the last few times I had difficulties getting past the password reset.    I can't see how to change my profile so it is out of date.  I no longer have the Phillips machine, now I'm using a Resmed AirSense 10 with a Tap Pap nasal pillow (no head gear) mask and used it for some time successfully before this started up.
I will also mention that I have very mild apnea.  I've been told I can go without but I find when the cpap is working properly I wake much refreshed. I'm also dealing with a mitral valve issue that has been worsening and I would like to whatever I can to keep it from doing so.  Many thanks for any suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: stomach cramps with cpap use
(05-30-2024, 11:19 AM)pnfog Wrote: I just imported my data into my Oscar program only to be told that This CPAP device does NOT record detailed data.

The SD card needs to be in the machine overnight for the data to be recorded on the card, and it also needs to be unlocked so the machine can write to it. The Airsense 10 can definitely record retailed data that's the good news. more information is available in the wiki if u need it.

once you manage to post data we can try to help with the settings.

It sounds like aerophagia a fairly common side effects of cpap, i'm surprised they said it was "incredibly rare, etc" but no personal experience with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: stomach cramps with cpap use
It would be great if you'd change your profile to reflect your new machine. Click on UserCP up at the top, then from the menu on the left, select Edit Profile. After you've made your changes, be sure to scroll all the way down and click on Update Profile.

It sounds as though you have an Airsense 10 CPAP machine, which is too bad, since as you've found, it won't report a lot of the data that would be useful. So we'll have to do the best we can with limited information.

My first question for you is what your AHI generally is. Could you let us know?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea while on stomach? What causing wake up RainyDog 3 297 07-03-2024, 09:07 PM
Last Post: RainyDog
  Stomach Sleeper Mask Options LikeaGlove90 13 1,929 12-08-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Leaks and mask displacement for side-to-stomach sleepers. Tape down nasal pillows? Bostonsnow 0 940 08-13-2023, 02:32 PM
Last Post: Bostonsnow
  AHI/Apnea worst when sleeping on stomach chris94546 2 828 07-29-2023, 10:15 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Lots of mask leak and severe bloating / stomach pain upon waking. What can I do? exchanged 6 1,097 05-02-2023, 07:38 PM
Last Post: cdplatt
  Air in my stomach Old Bert 64 4,951 11-25-2022, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Old Bert
  Does sleeping on your stomach prevent Apnea? WWu777 7 2,367 08-17-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: theredheadsaid

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.