Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

central apneas after treatment none before
central apneas after treatment none before
Hello
i had obstructive abneas during my initial test. After a year i did the surgery to open my nasal cavity and throat. I now have no obstructive apneas when on the machine but now have all centrals. I have been trying, 3-5 years, with therapy to improve my centrals but no luck. Ahi ranges 8-15. Did the therapy cause my centrals? if i stop machine when will i go back to normal for centrals. I have tried this before and i feel horible maybe i need to wait say 3 months and then cas go away?

Again initial test had no cas only after machine i developed them.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: central apneas after treatment none before
Treatment-induced centrals usually disappear after a few months. 
With the Respironics AirCurve 10, I have an option to mitigate centrals with the Trigger level. Unfortunately, I am not sure about your instrument's capability.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you had your sleep study details, defining the Central Apnea would be easier. Just be aware that some doctors, especially in cases where CA are lower, the doctor will maybe not mention the CA and only focus on Obstructive Apnea. Hence they might say you have Obstructive Apnea, even if there were some Central Apnea.

Having treatment emergent Central Apnea for years would be very rare from what I know.

Also Philips Respironics machines are in need to be replaced. You might need to ask about this, as Philips Respironics machines have been recalled. Yours might be too old, but I don't know.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same machine and recently changes setting to help 1-2 days ago but same result. No matter what i do it stays the same. Can you please review and let me know if i can change anything else?

i can't attach files will have to create a new post.
Post Reply Post Reply
Please see my results.  I am also thinking of just getting an ASV the problem is the doctor only seem to say i could get one if my results were horrible which according to them its not. So can i buy one and turn it on and it will know what to do or this needs to be titrated too?

Thank you.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Your leaks are high; try to reduce them with proper strap tension or a different mask.
Your flow limit is acceptable, so you can reduce your PS to mitigate centrally. To start, try PS=08t.
Post Reply Post Reply
Whether ASV is necessary or not depend on what the actual test results were and other factors like ruling out treatment emergent Central Apnea.

Will health insurance be paying for the ASV?

You will need to know exactly what your sleep study recorded to determine the type of CA you're dealing with, not just what the doctor told you. How long ago was the test? You should request your detailed copy regardless.

Clarify for us, how long have you been on the VAuto?

Are you using high or very high trigger?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-31-2024, 08:47 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Are you using high or very high trigger?
The current trigger on the chart is very high.
Post Reply Post Reply
Copy, thanks. I missed seeing it.

Any thoughts on if the Ti Min and Max should be closer to default? Are the edited settings of Ti .6 - 3.2 affecting therapy or events negatively?
Post Reply Post Reply
This week i read a lot of the posts to see if i can improve my results. I just moved the trigger to very high as i read that would remove reduce my CAs. I also increased the TI min from 2 to 3.5.
I reduced and have done several adjustments to the PS and yes anything above 2-4 it gets worse. This week i reduced it to 1 then .5 then 0 but noticed AHI was basically same but at the .5 to 0 PS i noticed I didn't feel good so i raised it back to 1.6. Not sure but i think if PS is too low i don't feel good even thought i get same AHI of 8s-15s.

The test are now posted for your review but that was all based on my initial exam that shows obstructive was my issue. Now it is all centrals because of the treatment and nothing i do makes it go below 7s.

I know that 7s and 8s are ok but I can only imagine how i would feel if i get 1-5 AHI as the impact is immense when i get AHI of 7 vs 10.

I used capap 1 1/12, bipap 3 years and now been trying vauto maybe for a year or so. I doubt insurance will pass asv as i believe i have to be dying to get it and i am not with AHI 7-20. So becuase i can't get better results i would just buy one if i can although not sure if it will do all automatically for me in terms of the settings.

One thing has improved as you can see i used to wake up a lot during the night. I believe i counted as much as 28 times a night. This has been improved yet i still wake up 3-5 time as night. Something else I would like to eliminate completely.

Can you please see if there is anything else i can adjust please?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seeking Treatment Advice Please rosetech 2 77 4 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  1 Week in - Treatment regimen central apnea? mikaelbb 1 88 Yesterday, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Dodies
  UARS Treatment [Using Philips ASV] SenatorBirch 33 5,034 10-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: SenatorBirch
  Increase in Central Apneas Luna G3 PAP Link Data thowle 8 193 10-01-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Zoll Remede System for Central/Cheyne Stokes Fixit50 2 140 09-26-2024, 04:05 PM
Last Post: Fixit50
  TreatmenT emergent central apnea Stracky 9 304 09-25-2024, 10:56 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Please help with treatment review DaveL 881 67,600 09-25-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.