Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

first mask is a no go
first mask is a no go
Mask questions...

I got my CPAP about 2 weeks ago and I finally got to the point were I reliable wear it for more the 6 hours a night. Now I am noticing red irritation on the bridge of  my nose. Its a BMC Siesta full face mask, which I am quickly learning is cheap chinese crap (I don't see a review on it).

At the fitting, my DME and decided that I am probably should go full face- I really wanted to breathe though my mouth when I first tried a nasal mask.

She also steered me away from masks with the hook up with the hose on top of me head after I mentioned that I flop from side to side. I dont understand her reasoning after a few nights. I actually notice that I dont roll to my preferred side at all because I would be facing away from my nightstand and CPAP.

Questions- 
1) Was I too quick to rule out nasal masks? I'm pretty sure I am a mouth breather at least partially.
2) I'm looking at hybrid masks like Philips Dreamwear. are there issues with nasal seals with them? Should I look to get into something like that?
3) the machine is fine, but if they don't stock a specific mask can I take my prescription for accessories elsewhere?  My DME is willing to let me try a few in this first month. They seem to seem to be a national chain at least according to the brochures they handed me.

And thanks for all your assistance. This forum has helped me a lot over the past couple weeks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: first mask is a no go
Wooders, I use a mask that hooks up on top. I have a tendency to move around and the top attachment point really works good for me. I’m hesitant to try any mask except for the ones the hook up top. Her reasoning is wrong!

It you move a lot , these are the ticket.
Post Reply Post Reply
@wooders,

Ditto what Nightyynite said, I flop all over the place, constantly shifting side, back, side, other side etc. All three of my masks attach at the top, wouldn't have it any other way, its basicity an axel for me to spin on without moving the hose so much. If you are a partial mouth breather this is the best time to start breaking that habit, nasal breathing is far healthier in so many ways this thread would bee TLDR if I went into them. Research it yourself.

Since I got my mouth breathing diminished my therapy efficacy has gone way up. My recommendation for a mask is the Resmed P30i, Respironics chin strap, and 2" wide cover-roll stretch tape to tape the mouth while sleeping.

You have a very narrow window where the DME allows you to try multiple masks without charge, that window is closing rapidly, take advantage of it otherwise once the 30 days slips by your paying for each new experiment. My DME had the same offer but in reality I was only able to try a couple of masks before the window closed due to their "process", convenient. If its in your prescription even the chin strap is covered, I had to ask, they weren't offering up anything without prompting.

Good luck, your journey is only beginning.
Post Reply Post Reply
I swapped it out for a Resmed Airfit f30i. I'll be trying it out tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree that the F30i may be a better fit for your sleeping style. I have used both the F30i and the P30i and like them both. For me the F30i is slightly more comfortable, and, as I tend to wake up fairly easily from mouth leak noise, it results in a more reliably sound sleep. The P30i is nice and minimalistic.

Fitting the F30i is a bit more of a challenge. Choose the mask size which seals well with a slightly open mouth position, as the nose needs to be well pillowed to prevent leaks when the jaw relaxes in sleep. Strap covers help prevent lines and stabilize either mask with side sleeping. Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi there,

I have been experimenting with the Philips DeamWear full face mask after using the ResMed Mirage Quattro full face mask for years. I switched because I realized that sleeping on my side can reduce my AHI by about then (10) folds, and Mirage is unsuitable for side sleep; while DeamWear is designed for side sleep.

I have mostly positive experiences after the switch, with the following problem:
The nasal pillow on the top of the full-face-part sometimes leaks, and a leak increases my good AHI by about five folds. When there is no overnight leak, the average pressure is about 7-8 cm. When leaks occur, the average pressure increases to 9-10, while the max pressure can go as high as 17 (I am using an Autoset machine configuration). I believe the leak can be mitigated by an altered nasal interface with two small tubes fitting into my nose, like in the Philips DeamWear Nasal mask case. Unfortunately, the full-face mask only comes with the nasal pillow version. I am looking for alternatives from some different manufacturers right now. 

Please let me know if you have suggestions for leak reduction of DeamWear or some alternative masks suitable for side sleepers.

Thanks,
G.
Post Reply Post Reply
G,  since you’re sleeping on your side now, sometimes contact with the mask and your pillow can push the mask and cause leaks. Maybe a softer pillow or even trying to position your head closer to the end of the pillow can help. That’s normally the way I have to sleep for the same reason.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, Nightynite,  for your quick response. Your suggestions make a lot of sense. I am still optimizing the mask straps too. I am trying tighter settings, but Philips advises against overtightening. 
Best, 
G.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-28-2023, 01:42 PM)wooders Wrote: I swapped it out for a Resmed Airfit f30i. I'll be trying it out tonight.

That's exactly the mask I have.  I'm fairly new to CPAP and find that mask very comfortable and easy to use.  I too move from side to side and have absolutely NO issues with it whatsoever.  I'm so used to it now that I barely even notice I'm wearing it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Difference between nasal mask, and full face mask setting Ynot 6 309 09-04-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 3,382 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 4,077 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 4,805 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,254 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,663 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 5,107 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.