Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

mouth tape and nose pillow OR full face mask, pros and cons?
RE: mouth tape and nose pillow OR full face mask, pros and cons?
These days, many FFM’s are hybrids, and not nearly as cumbersome as full-fledged FFM’s or hybrids. You could investigate those? Check out the Resmeds.

You might also post an Oscar chart or two. Leakage and pressure interact and can make for some very disrupted sleep. IMO at least consider the possibility that you need more air, and so your mouth is creating leaks. A quick look at your Oscar chart will determine that.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the difference is in the "eye of the beholder."  Comfort and results with mouth tape vs full face mask is a highly individual question.  There isn't any right answer.  People say what works best for them.  Give it a try, if it works best for you stick with it.  

I started with a full face mask - some discomfort; got over it.  ALWAYS had an uncomfortably dry mouth with the FFM - even with humidification cranked up.  Don't know why.  My first attempt with tape was with the full face mask.  Dry mouth was gone instantly.  That led me to try a nasal mask again that I had originally rejected due to leaks and all the air blowing out of my mouth.  Tape made the nasal mask comfortable, but still objectionable red marks on the bridge of my nose. Tried nasal cushion with tape.  That was the final answer.  I did try a cervical collar - found it uncomfortable AND I just ended up blowing raspberry's through by closed but un-taped lips. 

I don't use a small strip of tape.  I cover my whole mouth - weld it shut.  Anything less and the air leaks out.  There, that's what works best for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry folks, i am not explaining myself properly with this post.
Aussie is coming the closest to what i am thinking, here goes again, i hope !?

When i use hybrid full face, and my lips open, the inspiration pressure comes in 2 ways, nasal AND mouth. That pressure does something in my airways different i think then if only thru the nasal? 
On exhalation, the CPAP pressure comes out my mouth maybe? unstenting airway somewhere maybe?
That's what i am trying to envision whats happening there.

When i use nasal only, on inspiration pressure comes in my nose, but out my mouth as well, causing what?
and on expiration, comes out my mouth possibly only and not my nose?

Thats what i'm trying to work out!

thanx again, for all the help on the ins and outs of using all the equipment and tape and such.
I am really looking for the pathways that the pressure goes and the resulting symptoms etc.

Dont-know Huhsign Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmm.  It seems that your questioned has morphed a bit from the original which was pros and cons of the two different systems and what is our experience.  You've had several good answers to that question.

Now you're focusing on how the inspiration and expiration pressures are moving through your respiratory tract depending on which mask you use and whether/how you tape.  I think you've answered your own question already - differently.

Is your concern what is going to be most comfortable and effective for you?   You're the one with that answer.
Post Reply Post Reply
Exhaling also stents your airway, more than inhaling at the same pressure. because if the mask is at 8cm, your pharyngeal pressure is at ~6 while inhaling and around ~10 when exhaling. also it doesn't matter if it's your mouth or nose that does the breathing when using a full face, as long as the pressure inside your airway is maintained.

mouth breathing is only an issue if the air leaks out and your airway drops to atmospheric pressure then the airway will not be stented anymore. same thing happens with mask leaks or anything that breaks the seal.

[Image: k3.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
IMO the question has changed since the original post.

However, it's important to set your unit according to the style of mask you use. The unit accommodates for the space in the airway. Also, note that a mask (e.g. F40) may use different settings than you'd think likely. The packaging on the mask would be the authority on this.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m wondering how you manage to exhale through your mouth when using a nasal mask, without also winding up inhaling through your mouth at least some of the time. I find if my mouth opens it tends to stay open a while, at least with the FFM (I seem not to open my mouth with the nasal pillows mask).

I didn’t realize how much I hated struggling with nose breathing (deviated septum, sinus congestion) until I tried a FFM. Suddenly I could just breathe effortlessly, and I love that. My numbers are not as good overall and I’m seeing more CAs, so right now I’m switching around trying to figure out what works best for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Typically I've heard that CPAP users can tolerate nasal pillows better than BiPAP users and that BiPAP users more commonly end up having to go the full face route for whatever reason. I would guess because it is more common for BiPAP users to have higher pressures that cause more mouth leaks
Post Reply Post Reply
"When i use nasal only, on inspiration pressure comes in my nose, but out my mouth as well, causing what?"

This is causing a decrease in therapy pressure to your airway (collapse)-hence the need for mouth tape or a chin strap. I could not handle nasal pillows and I can't handle hybrids, I'm a full face mask guy, and I can't tape because of my mustache and beard.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi folks, got some results testing Dreamware full face vs Dreamware nasal with chinstrap vs Dreamware nasal full mouth tape.

This was done to highlight mouth breathing with various headgear and how it might affect CPAP results.

I did slow breathing exercises before bed for last 2 screen shots.

Dreamware Full Face Hybrid     Caldera neck collar    Nose Strip    Secaris nose gel

Dreamware Nasal             Chin Strap   neck collar     No Nose Strip   Secaris nose gel

Dreamware Nasal            Mouth Tape, neck collar ,  EPR=0 !   

Due to file restrictions, i could not show the exact progression from Full face to nasal and mouth tape.

But last night was best AHI result in a long long time!
Will take time to sort out the waking espisodes, (3hrs at a time sleeping), and get my body back to rested without daytime tiredness and fatigue which still exists.

Have to run for now, will comment further once i see some of your comments.
Thankyou all so much.
Sorry to ALL who had comments about the post changing, i did not realize that would be a problem, but now i do!

Thanks like
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth Tape Trick for Wimps (like me) Deborah K. 33 4,290 44 minutes ago
Last Post: DaveL
  is the answer to this data mouth tape? p4ncaketim 0 30 1 hour ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
  Please recommend a facial mask that doesn't touch the bridge of the nose. Asjb 5 130 Yesterday, 03:29 AM
Last Post: Asjb
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 14 1,580 09-30-2024, 08:08 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  What was your experience fighting mouth leaks? PersonInNY 29 1,064 09-30-2024, 06:59 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  AHI of 1, but still sleepy, napping, dry mouth yngwiej 19 980 09-29-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Started noticing dry mouth in the morning BionicSpud 13 291 09-29-2024, 09:17 AM
Last Post: eok361

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.