Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Positioning Question
CPAP Positioning Question
Do you position your CPAP machine with the air tube/hose facing towards you or away from you? Have you tried the other way? Have you noticed any difference?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Positioning Question
I mean...I suppose that sometimes it's behind me and sometimes it's in front of me, depending on which side I'm lying.
Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Paula, what I meant was the position of the hose outlet on the machine. For example, in this attachment photo, the hose side is positioned away from the user.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Do you mean that the hose is coming out of the back of the machine facing toward you or away from you? If so, you want it facing toward you. Otherwise, too much of the hose length is eaten up by the created curve. Also, I think it might put too much pressure on the connection to the machine, possibly causing the hose to leak.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
My CPAP machine sits on top of a file cabinet that is on the side of our bed. It's the same height as our bed. 

The machine faces the same way our bed does. The hose is tilted towards the bed. I use a hose hanger, so the hose sweeps upward at a steep angle, then back down to my mask. 

Not so sure if it would make any difference at all, in regards to which way the hose is pointed coming out the back of the machine.  Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply
I wouldn’t think it matters. Once you have your mask on and the blower motor fills the hose with air and creates pressure, the sensors monitor that pressure and adjust as needed.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the one that matters is not to try upside-down.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
since no heated tube mine has an elbow and of course it's better to have the hose towards you, less chance of pulling the machine off the table while you sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP - Question about my OSCAR Data Oikos22girls 6 360 06-29-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Oikos22girls
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 1,185 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New CPAP user Question mcast10 2 496 01-07-2024, 10:59 AM
Last Post: mcast10
  Was there a question about hackers accessing your CPAP machine. I am experiencing thi DBlake 2 713 12-24-2023, 08:31 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
  [CPAP] Question about cpap/bipap prescription UARS tugboatxd 9 1,336 11-09-2023, 02:00 AM
Last Post: meatwagon42
  Question about reliability of the CPAP data zynsa 4 869 08-02-2023, 05:50 PM
Last Post: zynsa
  Quick Question - Worth Buying ASV If Tweaking CPAP Isn't Working? Apnea23 3 879 04-18-2023, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.