Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Here to vent
Here to vent
Like many people, I have a high deductible plan ($4k) but I contribute to a HSA and my employer also adds $1k.  I just got absolute sticker shock (except it's not a sticker, it's real bills) after a recent in home sleep study.  

I understand how these plans work and I certainly expected to pay something.  Perhaps I should have even asked for estimates, that's on me.

But the real kick in the pants is that my new PCP sent me to a pulmoligist (we recently relocated so I told my new PCP about my apnea and the last time I was studied, which was 2018).
Pulmologist ask me a few questions, listens to my heart and lungs and says, yep better get a new study.  And here is a $189 bill for me telling you so.

Then I go through the denial process, which I had already experienced in 2018 but I let it play out.  Aetna won't pay for a lab study, just a home study.  Ok, whatever.  I go in and get the unit and the instructions.  Take it back the next day on time and await what I already know  -- yep, you have apnea and need a CPAP.  

So, now I get the bill(s).  One is coded as a HOME SLEEP TEST/TYPE III POR, $1,698 discount of 339.60 leaving me and my HSA to pay $1,358.40.  Turns out that is for Dr. Pulmologist to "read" the study.  

Get another billl from the lab.  It is coded as a HOME SLEEP TEST/TYPE III POR, $1,698 discount of $1,156.34 leaving me and my HSA (mostly now depleted) to pay $541.66.

EOB's agreeed with all the above data.  So, I call Aetna, tell them that it looks like some double dipping is going on here.  But, no, it's all legit.  I happily agree but push a little further as to why the discounts for the same code is different.  Answer, some providers negotiated different rates.  The sleep lab is in the same hospital, same floor and steps away from the pulmologist!!!!!!!  How can the negotiated rate be different!!!!???

I've never put my finger on it, but all 3 studies I've done to date and then the supply people -- the whole thing just feels sleazy and scammy and like a money grab.  

I'm waiting on the supply people to call, but my intention is to  tell them that my machine is currently working fine and I'm not interested in another.  They can provide the supplies ( I'm currently still getting from a supplier a thousand miles away).

Sorry, I'm worked up about this.  The whole medical / insurance thing in this country seems so screwed up and unfair.  I just can't see $2.900 worth of services here, yet I feel helpless about the whole thing.  
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Here to vent
Yep, I even called Medicare to complain about my situation with my useless DME. I was just starting out and they weren’t concerned either, they just agreed with me and said have a nice day.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with You sure looks like a money grabbing good'ol boys club !!

I've said for years the two worst thinks that have happened to the country
are Insurance Companies and Lawyers ..
Post Reply Post Reply
and politicians
Post Reply Post Reply
Post your sleep tests rresults here. ust to make sure you get the right machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
car54;
The vast majority of politicians are lawyers ..
Post Reply Post Reply
The real shame is that you could have gotten a home study with physician review and prescription for under $300 and bought a new Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset card to cloud for $459, and gotten some good discounts on that total. I wish people would start here on Apnea Board before getting ripped off.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] ActiveAir vent Brent1 0 135 09-07-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: Brent1
  Continous air out of vent nasal mask Nad402 25 12,457 08-26-2024, 03:05 PM
Last Post: JMIKEG
  [Equipment] EERS vent questions Humancyclone7 7 562 06-20-2024, 02:30 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 143 41,841 04-29-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Alfons
  What is optimal respiration rate, minute vent, tidal volume, etc? ATeam91 4 866 01-23-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: ATeam91
Idea Tell me how you've Modified your P10 to make it VENT more Hydrangea 47 7,881 01-13-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Sick and need to vent cps22 8 905 01-05-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: cps22

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.