Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
What can be done about many sub 10 second apneas? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: What can be done about many sub 10 second apneas? (/Thread-What-can-be-done-about-many-sub-10-second-apneas)

What can be done about many sub 10 second apneas? - cnshough - 08-22-2024

Been using CPAP since July 8. Generally my AHI is between .5 and 1.5. I wake up many times each night though according to Apple Watch Ultra. Looking at the watch data for several weeks, it seems to be that the data is usually a couple minutes behind. Meaning if the watch shows I was awake at 1:18, and there is a short apnea event that seemed to cause an arousal in Oscar, Oscar shows the event at around 1:15ish. I found the setting to enable user flagged events and turned it on. First setting is 50% for 8 seconds and second setting is 30% for 7 seconds. Last night in 7.5 hours of sleep I had five 8 second events and one 7 second event. Night before last I had 14. And a few days ago I had 21 of these. Can anything be done to mitigate these shorter events if the machine doesn’t recognize them? Posting this on my phone. I will reply to this post with some screenshots

RE: What can be done about many sub 10 second apneas? - cnshough - 08-22-2024

3 screenshots from last night

RE: What can be done about many sub 10 second apneas? - SarcasticDave94 - 08-22-2024

If the event isn't 10 seconds, it's not Apnea, and therefore won't be flagged as such.

If you see things that need addressed, it's likely your static pressure of 8 isn't enough. Either switch to auto and put in a range for 8-12 or so or you'll need to increase pressure to 9.

Your Ramp probably isn't helping much either. It's starting you too low, likely best answer is turn it off.

(08-22-2024, 09:00 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: If the event isn't 10 seconds, it's not Apnea, and therefore won't be flagged as such.

I understand the clinical definition of an apnea, and I understand how the Airsense 10 doesn’t flag events under 10 seconds, but the fact is that these are events of non breathing, albeit only 8 seconds. And I still wake up tired as ever, so obviously they’re a contributing factor that I would like to get a handle on if at all possible.

RE: What can be done about many sub 10 second apneas? - Deborah K. - 08-22-2024

Your being tired is because you are still adjusting to pap use, nothing worse than that.  You need to give things time.

Dave's right; you need to turn ramp off.  You don't get any therapy while it's on, and if you wake up for a bathroom break, ramp starts again when you return to bed, robbing you of therapy.

You also need to raise your pressure, using Apap instead of Cpap, at the setting 8-12 he suggested.

Try those things!  It can only help. Smile

(08-22-2024, 12:54 PM)Deborah K. Wrote: Your being tired is because you are still adjusting to pap use, nothing worse than that.  You need to give things time.

Dave's right; you need to turn ramp off.  You don't get any therapy while it's on, and if you wake up for a bathroom break, ramp starts again when you return to bed, robbing you of therapy.

You also need to raise your pressure, using Apap instead of Cpap, at the setting 8-12 he suggested.

Try those things!  It can only help.  Smile

I have tried APAP at 6-10 and 95% was around 7.5 and 99% was around 7.96. Given this information, do you stand by the recommendation of 8-12?