Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What can be done about many sub 10 second apneas?
What can be done about many sub 10 second apneas?
Been using CPAP since July 8. Generally my AHI is between .5 and 1.5. I wake up many times each night though according to Apple Watch Ultra. Looking at the watch data for several weeks, it seems to be that the data is usually a couple minutes behind. Meaning if the watch shows I was awake at 1:18, and there is a short apnea event that seemed to cause an arousal in Oscar, Oscar shows the event at around 1:15ish. I found the setting to enable user flagged events and turned it on. First setting is 50% for 8 seconds and second setting is 30% for 7 seconds. Last night in 7.5 hours of sleep I had five 8 second events and one 7 second event. Night before last I had 14. And a few days ago I had 21 of these. Can anything be done to mitigate these shorter events if the machine doesn’t recognize them? Posting this on my phone. I will reply to this post with some screenshots
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What can be done about many sub 10 second apneas?
3 screenshots from last night

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
If the event isn't 10 seconds, it's not Apnea, and therefore won't be flagged as such.

If you see things that need addressed, it's likely your static pressure of 8 isn't enough. Either switch to auto and put in a range for 8-12 or so or you'll need to increase pressure to 9.

Your Ramp probably isn't helping much either. It's starting you too low, likely best answer is turn it off.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-22-2024, 09:00 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: If the event isn't 10 seconds, it's not Apnea, and therefore won't be flagged as such.

I understand the clinical definition of an apnea, and I understand how the Airsense 10 doesn’t flag events under 10 seconds, but the fact is that these are events of non breathing, albeit only 8 seconds. And I still wake up tired as ever, so obviously they’re a contributing factor that I would like to get a handle on if at all possible.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your being tired is because you are still adjusting to pap use, nothing worse than that.  You need to give things time.

Dave's right; you need to turn ramp off.  You don't get any therapy while it's on, and if you wake up for a bathroom break, ramp starts again when you return to bed, robbing you of therapy.

You also need to raise your pressure, using Apap instead of Cpap, at the setting 8-12 he suggested.

Try those things!  It can only help. Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-22-2024, 12:54 PM)Deborah K. Wrote: Your being tired is because you are still adjusting to pap use, nothing worse than that.  You need to give things time.

Dave's right; you need to turn ramp off.  You don't get any therapy while it's on, and if you wake up for a bathroom break, ramp starts again when you return to bed, robbing you of therapy.

You also need to raise your pressure, using Apap instead of Cpap, at the setting 8-12 he suggested.

Try those things!  It can only help.  Smile

I have tried APAP at 6-10 and 95% was around 7.5 and 99% was around 7.96. Given this information, do you stand by the recommendation of 8-12?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central apneas on trt supercbr 0 84 10-18-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: supercbr
  Central Apneas? jared2000 3 188 10-15-2024, 10:33 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Increase in Central Apneas Luna G3 PAP Link Data thowle 8 425 10-01-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  transitional/sleep onset apneas after years of PAP gaspsalot 10 622 09-18-2024, 10:59 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Feeling bad despite all of my attempts.. And.. Central apneas. Preparedinho 39 2,374 09-10-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  Oscar Missing Apneas or Cheyne Stokes? Westernsleep 2 221 09-05-2024, 03:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  central apneas after treatment none before jquintero 17 671 09-02-2024, 05:41 AM
Last Post: quiescence at last

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.