Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Symptoms] Waking up every 3-4 hours with APAP - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Symptoms] Waking up every 3-4 hours with APAP (/Thread-Symptoms-Waking-up-every-3-4-hours-with-APAP)

Waking up every 3-4 hours with APAP - gabitzu - 09-14-2024

Hello everyone,

I have been using the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for about a month now, and I haven't yet been able to get a full night's sleep. I usually average out 6-7 hours, and wake up at least once a night, after which I struggle to fall back and stay asleep. I would say I sleep better, but I don't feel my best yet.

I provided some screenshots from 3 different nights below which have more information than I could provide. I don't completely understand OSCAR data, so if anyone can help me with this I would be very thankful.

[attachment=69589]
[attachment=69590]
[attachment=69591]

RE: Waking up every 3-4 hours with APAP - williamwu1107 - 09-14-2024

Your pressure limit is too low. Please increase it from 4 to 6 cmH2O. Insufficient low pressure support pressure.

RE: Waking up every 3-4 hours with APAP - SeePak - 09-14-2024

Welcome gabitzu !

Did you have a sleep study and what was the pressure prescription?

Your arousals came when pressure went high, so i would watch for that.
Some people have arousals when the pressure is fluctuating, so you may want to try CPAP without Auto

You also appear to be mouth breathing, indicated by the leak rate flattening out.
Do you have dry mouth?

You have very few OA, considering the low pressure setting which is good, so i would watch that you dont go too high and start getting more CA events.

Even with pressure setting of 6 cm  min,  with EPR 2  your pressure will still drop to 4 cm.

This may not be a problem for you, since your OA events are low though there is an OA when pressure is around 4 or 5 cm

I am thinking you could also drop your max pressure from 10 to 8

Maybe try 7 cm min, 8 cm max , EPR 2 and see if OA events stay at zero

RE: Waking up every 3-4 hours with APAP - G. Szabo - 09-14-2024

Agreeing with the above suggestions, I recommend a more aggressive approach:

Pressure min/max =9/13
EPR=3, full time
Ramp off

RE: Waking up every 3-4 hours with APAP - gabitzu - 09-14-2024

Hello everyone, thank you for your suggestions!

To answer your questions, SeePak, 
My prescribed pressure was around 9 - 10 cm max, since my AHI is considered ”mild”, although my RDI was bordering on severe.
Yes, I mouth breathe and I do sometimes wake up with dry mouth. 

I am going to try to implement these changes and hope that I wake up less often.
Thanks again!

RE: Waking up every 3-4 hours with APAP - gabitzu - 09-15-2024

Last night I raised the min pressure to 7 cm, the EPR to 3 and also changed the Ramp to Auto, and I got just about 6 hours of continuous sleep, and also felt better, thanks!
But I have a couple of questions. How would setting the Ramp to Off help me, and what is the difference between CPAP mode and APAP mode with Ramp Off?
Also, would I need to make any other additional changes based on the OSCAR data below, since I am unsure of how to interpret it.
Thank you again!

[attachment=69626]

RE: Waking up every 3-4 hours with APAP - G. Szabo - 09-15-2024

(09-15-2024, 02:14 AM)gabitzu Wrote: How would setting the Ramp to Off help me,..
Also, would I need to make any other additional changes based on the OSCAR data below ...
Your data clearly show that more aggressive treatment would help you. Hence, I suggest the following settings. 
Pressure min/max =9/13
EPR=3, full time
Ramp off

During ramp you have no treatment