Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Waking up every 3-4 hours with APAP
Question 
Waking up every 3-4 hours with APAP
Hello everyone,

I have been using the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for about a month now, and I haven't yet been able to get a full night's sleep. I usually average out 6-7 hours, and wake up at least once a night, after which I struggle to fall back and stay asleep. I would say I sleep better, but I don't feel my best yet.

I provided some screenshots from 3 different nights below which have more information than I could provide. I don't completely understand OSCAR data, so if anyone can help me with this I would be very thankful.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Waking up every 3-4 hours with APAP
Your pressure limit is too low. Please increase it from 4 to 6 cmH2O. Insufficient low pressure support pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome gabitzu !

Did you have a sleep study and what was the pressure prescription?

Your arousals came when pressure went high, so i would watch for that.
Some people have arousals when the pressure is fluctuating, so you may want to try CPAP without Auto

You also appear to be mouth breathing, indicated by the leak rate flattening out.
Do you have dry mouth?

You have very few OA, considering the low pressure setting which is good, so i would watch that you dont go too high and start getting more CA events.

Even with pressure setting of 6 cm  min,  with EPR 2  your pressure will still drop to 4 cm.

This may not be a problem for you, since your OA events are low though there is an OA when pressure is around 4 or 5 cm

I am thinking you could also drop your max pressure from 10 to 8

Maybe try 7 cm min, 8 cm max , EPR 2 and see if OA events stay at zero
Post Reply Post Reply
Agreeing with the above suggestions, I recommend a more aggressive approach:

Pressure min/max =9/13
EPR=3, full time
Ramp off
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello everyone, thank you for your suggestions!

To answer your questions, SeePak, 
My prescribed pressure was around 9 - 10 cm max, since my AHI is considered ”mild”, although my RDI was bordering on severe.
Yes, I mouth breathe and I do sometimes wake up with dry mouth. 

I am going to try to implement these changes and hope that I wake up less often.
Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night I raised the min pressure to 7 cm, the EPR to 3 and also changed the Ramp to Auto, and I got just about 6 hours of continuous sleep, and also felt better, thanks!
But I have a couple of questions. How would setting the Ramp to Off help me, and what is the difference between CPAP mode and APAP mode with Ramp Off?
Also, would I need to make any other additional changes based on the OSCAR data below, since I am unsure of how to interpret it.
Thank you again!

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-15-2024, 02:14 AM)gabitzu Wrote: How would setting the Ramp to Off help me,..
Also, would I need to make any other additional changes based on the OSCAR data below ...
Your data clearly show that more aggressive treatment would help you. Hence, I suggest the following settings. 
Pressure min/max =9/13
EPR=3, full time
Ramp off

During ramp you have no treatment
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP Newbie - Waking All Night With Mask Leaks Embeeous 14 248 53 minutes ago
Last Post: Embeeous
  Simulate BiPAP with APAP for more data – Need Advice cyberfiche 3 72 Yesterday, 12:40 PM
Last Post: cyberfiche
  Waking up around midnight, 2AM and 3AM midnighttwoam 14 626 Yesterday, 12:32 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  APAP VS AP Dynamic larrygreg 14 522 09-15-2024, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Waking times - what are your thoughts? Blubarb 2 136 09-14-2024, 02:34 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 46 2,855 09-08-2024, 04:34 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3
  Bipap vs Cpap/Apap DreadPirateRawburts 10 334 09-07-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.