Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

APAP- High Pressure Waking Me in the middle of the night
APAP- High Pressure Waking Me in the middle of the night
Hi everyone, I'm new to PAP therapy and was originally prescribed the classic 4-20 CmH2O wide range of pressure. I had a hard time falling asleep with such a low pressure so I bumped the minimum up to 6 CmH2O, which has been great for falling asleep.

The problem is that most nights I am woken up by the high pressure ⚠ I'm swallowing air from the high pressure which is waking me up. I'm curious what is causing the machine to suddenly pump the pressure. This is happening every night, the OSCAR session chart attached below is a classic night of being aroused from peaceful sleep. I end up removing the mask around ~4AM-5AM because it keeps increasing pressure.

Any help would be appreciated with this, especially since the sleep clinic I go to is very aloof with figuring out PAP therapy. 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: APAP- High Pressure Waking Me in the middle of the night
Welcome
If you would be so kind as to collapse your calendar in OSCAR, it would help see your pressures at night and even flow limitations better.   Here is how to do it below: 

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, get rid of the pie chart.  We need to see valuable information that is now out of sight due to the calendar and pie chart.  Thanks. Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2024, 01:01 PM)Jay51 Wrote: If you would be so kind as to collapse your calendar in OSCAR, it would help see your pressures at night and even flow limitations better.   Here is how to do it below: 
(09-30-2024, 02:12 PM)Deborah K. Wrote: Also, get rid of the pie chart.  We need to see valuable information that is now out of sight due to the calendar and pie chart.  Thanks.  Smile

Sounds good, I updated my graph view to reflect the standardized version 
I attached the images below, the first one being the overall session view and the second one a zoomed-in view of the routine 4AM pump. 
I may have no choice but to purchase a BiLevel machine, the high pressure is intolerable since I am painfully having to burp air when awake. I am surprised the Resmed algorithm is only detecting flow limitations at the end of my sleep cycle instead of a steady pattern.

Post Reply Post Reply
hey Hanovertime,

the auto-adjusting algorithms are very imperfect tools, and as someone who works with patients one-on-one, they cause more harm than good, in my opinion. The machine is cranking up the pressure in response to the level of obstruction you're experiencing, but these things are complex, as that obstruction could be positional, the increased pressure itself could be causing more obstruction (yes, this can happen), etc. Seeing as it increases only a few times during the night, I advise narrowing the range, and perhaps thereafter increasing the minimum pressure. In other words, the majority of your pressure needs seem to be satisfied by relatively low pressures for the lion's share of the night, and only momentarily does the machine apply much higher pressures. Your median pressure is ~7-8cm.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2024, 03:35 PM)CPAPfriend Wrote: hey Hanovertime,

In other words, the majority of your pressure needs seem to be satisfied by relatively low pressures for the lion's share of the night, and only momentarily does the machine apply much higher pressures. Your median pressure is ~7-8cm.

Sounds good, thank you for the insight. I will give this method a try, I'll set the machine at the static 8 cmH20 pressure. My clinic seems very hands-off, and doesn't care if I fine tune the settings. They don't even use a doctor for follow-ups, just a rushed nurse practitioner that looks at AHI. As long as the MyAir AHI event is low, that's all that matters to them. 

I do agree with your theory about the algorithm having low precision. I've seen the machine slowly crank up the pressure while I'm awake just scrolling on my phone or reading a book. 

I did some research on the official Resmed website and it states that most people have a pressure between 6-14 cmH2O "with an average of 10 cmH2O".

Post Reply Post Reply
What was your titrated pressure in your sleep study? If that is available, I would just set the machine's EPAP of that.
And use EPR if I need to feel comfortable. Otherwise EPR is not required.

Ideally, IPAP = EPAP with EPR = 0.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] Very high amounts of periodic breathing / CSR ? gregbe2000 27 635 3 hours ago
Last Post: gregbe2000
  [CPAP] Waking Up - Newbie Help lowlyradar 3 145 09-30-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: R750R
  Waking up around midnight, 2AM and 3AM midnighttwoam 15 872 09-29-2024, 06:29 AM
Last Post: midnighttwoam
  CPAP Newbie - Waking All Night With Mask Leaks Embeeous 37 1,211 09-26-2024, 03:37 PM
Last Post: Embeeous
  CPAP/APAP data review Robert Detz 1 114 09-25-2024, 09:40 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [CPAP] Need help with waking after 1-2 hours shrinkwrapped 2 183 09-25-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: shrinkwrapped
  High Apnea for two hours Martyapnea 2 131 09-25-2024, 09:18 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.