Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ASV constant wake up cannot sleep >1hour help
RE: ASV constant wake up cannot sleep >1hour help
it feels like i'm just about to drop off then a big jump in pressue. causing leaks and noise. Some times i get to early stage sleep and itll wake me up the same way. I dont stay asleep or dream until i am exhausted around 6 am. Un treated, during my Sleep study, they said i had an unusually high event rate. Evdn on CPAP i event totals in the 40's. My stroke tooks out alot of blood supply to my brain stem. Please forgive me if this is full of errors or if they way im communicating doesnt make sense.

edit:Sometimes, when it takes me a long time to doze off, the ramp time will end and the high pressure and mask leak start when i'm awake
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok copy, no problem on the wording. This is useful.

Let's take this section "feels like i'm just about to drop off then a big jump". Unfortunately you'll face it again, but I'd like you to try an action called blow back. What likely is happening is the ASV falsely interprets your drifting off as an event to blow. So try this next time, literally blow back rather forceful through the mask. The idea is your blow back will signal for the ASV to back off long enough for you to get to sleep.

I can't guarantee it'll work, but do try it. Update on this after trying.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will thank you!!
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the same problem when I first used ASV and ventilators.  What worked for me was turning the pressures down as low as they possibly could go.  I was at least able to fall asleep, and then stay asleep all night.  Then slowly increase the pressures to get better therapy.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply

Hey Guys, so ive tried everything suggested here and will slowly titrate my pressure up from here but i slept and feel rested! i also put the head of my bed up and switched back to my nasal mask (with mouth taped) cause i read nasal EPAP is helpful for CSA. last nights results:

Post Reply Post Reply
It looks fair in spite of intentional compromised state. I think I'd consider adding 1 to both EPAP Min and Max first. You can do so in. 2 steps if necessary. Afterwards, increase PS by the same 1 to Max, and later yet another 1 Max increase, again in .2 steps if needed. Both edits gets IPAP Max up by 3. The goal is to eventually give ASV a bit more power overall when needed, some extra EPAP and PS being indicated by events.

Again this can be done slowly, noting the correlation between increasing pressures and lowering events to balance between decent therapy feel.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

heres my update. I had leaks last night? But i feel so good, i only woke up a couple times. about two weeks ago I was waking up 5-8 times a night. I cant thank you enough! How do i give back
Post Reply Post Reply
You're welcome. It's looking like therapy is progressing. Congrats.

For you and us, you may want to push flow limits chart down as with ASV you'll probably get somewhat bad looking FL, it's a byproduct of ASV therapy though, no action needed.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but I often wake up not wearing mask PillowHugger 2 104 09-04-2024, 11:18 PM
Last Post: cizagui
  [Equipment] I Always Wake Up Feeling Like A Blowfish Kamryn 1 138 08-29-2024, 07:53 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Sleep study- Very high AHI with Central Sleep Apnea and multiple hours of CSR. Help. JoshO71 2 212 08-27-2024, 06:09 PM
Last Post: JoshO71
Question Under 1 AHI (great!) but what’s with the constant spikes on my breathing chart graph? JustG 5 235 08-25-2024, 02:47 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [CPAP] Wake up every half hour skoggy 8 543 08-23-2024, 05:03 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  [Treatment] New user struggling to wake up refreshed THEVGE 9 963 08-18-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: nh00
  Still wake up using CPAP urachan 9 775 08-15-2024, 11:34 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.