Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] New APAP User, need help optimizing
New APAP User, need help optimizing
Hello, all.   This is a great board, and I have already learned so much from reading the posts.

My story:   I have suspected having OSA for a long time, but just never got around to getting it tested.    I have AFIB, and spent 4 nights in the hospital in early May getting my heart rate under control.   I elected to get a cardiac ablation for the AFIB to enable me to reduce meds, and hopefully avoid future hospital stays.   (This was my second for AFIB).    I knew that untreated OSA would lessen the likelihood of the ablation working, so I decided to finally address it.   

I'm kind of a do-it-yourself girl, so I went online and ordered a Watch-PAT home test.   Also, it can take a long time to get appointments and sleep studies around here, and I wanted to get the ball rolling.  The study came back with mild-to-moderate sleep apnea.   (AHI 7.0, pRDI 16.1, O2 nadir of 72%)  The sleep therapist I talked to also noted that my sleep stages were just all over the place, never staying in one for long at all.  (I am aware that sleep stages are just an educated guess with the watch-PAT study.)   I had been sleeping horribly for quite some time.   Often, I would get up 6-7 times a night just to use the bathroom, and I never ever felt rested.  

The prescription I got was pretty generic - APAP 4-20.      They suggested I get an in lab study 4-6 weeks down the road to titrate pressures.    I would rather just do it myself, hopefully with some help from the knowledgeable members of this board.

I started APAP on 06/16/23, with the factory settings.    I have since made some adjustments.   I turned off the ramp.    Turned on the EPR (started at 1, then 2, then 3)   I changed the range of pressure to 8-13.    Last night  I tried 8-12.

I suspect I have some chin tucking issues, so I ordered a cervical collar and tonight will be the first time I use it.

Questions:
1)   I have made small changes to my settings nearly every night.   Is that bad?   Is there a recommended mount of time I should allow to really see what the effect of the changes are before making further changes?

2)  I think my mask seal is pretty good most of the time.   However, I notice that when the pressure goes up to 12 or more, I sometimes wake up with air leaking from my mask.    My solution at this point is to cut the machine off and let it restart at 8, making mask adjustments if needed.   Is this normal, or something that needs to be addressed?

3)  Max pressure - because of the above issue, I have had the max pressure at 12 and 13.    However, I do routinely hit these pressures, so should I set the max a bit higher?   Also, do leaks cause the pressure to go up, or do leaks happen because the pressure goes up?   

I will attach the last three nights of data.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New APAP User, need help optimizing
Hello! I am sorry I can't be of any help as I am also newly diagnosed (started 06-13-2023), but I am curious as to why you think you have chin tucking issues? I am wondering if I could have the same issue, so I'd love to know your thoughts. Thank you Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
1. Changes every night, you are not in a bad position. The question is are you guessing? If you are then that is the wrong approach period. Most often rapid changes are to rapidly get you in the ball park. Then you need to let things settle in for " several " nights because one night does not make a trend. You can have a bad night on occasion.

2. Pretty normal, large leaks are those over 24lpm and that is the territory that your AutoSet begins to not recognize events. Most likely is a fit issue, but you don't want tight straps as that causes more leaks than it fixes.

3.max pressure matters little. From what I'm seeing you could set it at 20 and it would have minimal impact. We restrict it for aerophagia and where we are unable to control your obstructive events.
Post Reply Post Reply
Chin tucking is evidenced by clusters of obstructive events, including flow limits, H, and OA events. I see little of this on the OPs post.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was seeing clusters of flow limites, OA and H during about a one hour period usually sometime between 2-4 am.    I think this was more evident on previous nights.    I usually don't sleep on my back because of some shoulder issues, but I know that at times I will end up on it for a little while.    I figured it wouldn't hurt to try the collar and see if it eliminated those.   It was a small investment.
Post Reply Post Reply
At this point, everything seems a bit of a guess, although I have had reasons for all the changes.    Changing the minimum pressure was because 4 is just not enough air!     8 just seems way more comfortable and easier to fall asleep with.   The EPR thing has been totally a guess on my part, but I saw where a lot of people thought it increased comfort and I tried it.   I can tell a little difference for the better, not much, but it doesn't seem to be hurting anything.      I think I will just leave it as is for a while for a week or so and see how that works out.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to APAP, do I have the right machine? Davileet 5 136 10-17-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Davileet
  DreamStation Auto BiPAP to APAP? indreams 5 257 10-05-2024, 04:07 AM
Last Post: indreams
  Interpreting and Optimizing machine Hsiaower 2 252 10-03-2024, 11:02 AM
Last Post: Dormeo
  APAP- High Pressure Waking Me in the middle of the night HanoverTime 6 361 09-30-2024, 11:57 PM
Last Post: AshSF
  CPAP/APAP data review Robert Detz 1 164 09-25-2024, 09:40 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Pressure settings on APAP - Morning Headaches Jhlopez 0 167 09-24-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: Jhlopez
  Simulate BiPAP with APAP for more data – Need Advice cyberfiche 3 234 09-17-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: cyberfiche

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.