Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New CPAP user trying to understand what Im doing
New CPAP user trying to understand what Im doing
Hi all,

Was diagnosed last September with mild apnea, 6 AHI, but I was exhausted, incredibly high anxiety and extreme difficulty staying asleep and falling asleep for a couple of years (as the anxiety got worse so did the sleep issues). Tried the APAP a few nights, gave up almost immediately then switched to a Somnomed Oral Appliance, had great success with that for about 9 months, anxiety went away, felt pretty good day to day, but then I started to slowly feel worse and decided that adjusting the appliance more forward would only make the bite issues more uncomfortable.

Switched to the CPAP in July, had an on again with little success at first but was determined to make it work. With help from this forum I've calibrated a few things and settings along the way and can now fall asleep and generally stay asleep with it on. I'd say I've had about 2 weeks were I've had the settings somewhat dialed in and I've gotten ok sleep. But I'd love for some people who know better to look at my data and see if I'm optimizing properly, the doctors have been zero help, all they look at is AHI and leak rates. I know this will take time for me to get back to "normal", and I don't expect to feel like that yet, but I do want to miss anything obvious because of my ignorance.

I greatly appreciate any and all help you can provide, these forums have already made getting started significantly easier.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP user trying to understand what Im doing
A slight pressure increase might improve your treatment, making your sleep smother with fewer pressure bumps. Also, it would be best to realize that you hit the current pressure ceiling a few times.
Try the pressure min/max = 10/13 setting.
Also, your inspiration time is longer than your expiration time. It should be the other way around, with 1/2=ins/expiration. To understand it, would you mind providing a few 3-minute windows of your flow rate throughout the night?
Post Reply Post Reply
Great, I'll bump up the pressure tonight, here are three random flow rate sections

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
In your second and third samples, the exhalation period is quite bumpy, which misleads the software's algorithm. Hence, the reported exp times should be disregarded. 
However, you might want to monitor this pattern because something is periodically blocking your exhalation. It might progress to a palatal prolapse, which you can read about on this forum, among other places.
Post Reply Post Reply
Could this also be from a sinus infection? Been dealing with that for about a week as well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to Oscar, please help me understand the data. Stray 1 66 6 hours ago
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  New CPAP user, looking for help understanding OSCAR Ksquared716 3 133 09-19-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help Needed to Understand Arousals ravman 3 236 09-14-2024, 05:09 PM
Last Post: ravman
  [Pressure] New to ASV and Wanting to Understand Pressure Settings Better kbeards 5 225 09-11-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Help me understand Oscar report and optimize CPAP therapy Oliverwoods 1 176 09-07-2024, 03:07 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  What generally are the first pressure settings for a new CPAP user ? Tenley 5 380 09-07-2024, 11:34 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [CPAP] New CPAP user looking for optimization advice rococo.orchid 6 289 09-04-2024, 10:40 PM
Last Post: PlayerTwo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.