Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Apnea and Prescription Pain Meds - Beware
Apnea and Prescription Pain Meds - Beware
I wanted to share a personal experience as a caution for anyone dealing with sleep apnea and using prescription pain medications, particularly opioids like morphine.

My sleep therapist (not my doctor) warned me about the risks of using opioids with untreated sleep apnea because these medications can reduce your breathing rate. However, once I received my BiPAP machine, I assumed I would be safe. It wasn’t until I started using OSCAR that I realized this wasn’t the case.

A few months ago, I was prescribed opioids for severe pain, and I noticed a significant difference in my sleep data.
In the first attachment, you’ll see a typical night of sleep without taking any opioids. My AHI for that night was 0.15, which is quite good..In the second attachment, where I took opioids throughout the night to manage pain, my AHI increased dramatically to 60.92.

This drastic difference is alarming and highlights how much opioids can affect your breathing—even with PAP therapy. After noticing this, I made the decision to stop taking opioids at night.
I hope this helps anyone considering opioid or other prescription pain meds.

- cyberfiche

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 26 4,677 09-09-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  purchase ASV with a bipap prescription jquintero 6 266 09-02-2024, 09:02 AM
Last Post: shallbreathe
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 8 1,008 07-25-2024, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Weld3z
  Soft Cervical Collar Might Be Causing Jaw Pain gamestar32 1 187 07-25-2024, 10:56 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Buying masks from Lofta for the first time (prescription required?) nicholasb600 3 437 06-23-2024, 01:16 AM
Last Post: nicholasb600
  [CPAP] Started CPAP 5 days ago, have burning pain in thigh Flibbertigibbet 9 517 06-05-2024, 09:10 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Apnea at home test. no apnea in lab? Burrells5 4 663 05-22-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: cps22

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.