Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Back up battery/generator for BiPap
Question 
Back up battery/generator for BiPap
Could someone please tell me what Back Up Battery or Generator for a BiPap I should purchase.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Back up battery/generator for BiPap
I keep procrastinating doing this, but, my idea is to purchase the appropriate connectors off of Amazon. Both together are about 40 bucks. Then, buy a cheap but adequate battery from my favorite Wallys World for about 70 bucks. I already have a couple of trickle chargers so that is all you need I think. Nothing fancy. Emergency use only.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2024, 11:07 AM)chronic Wrote: I keep procrastinating doing this, but, my idea is to purchase the appropriate connectors off of Amazon.  Both together are about 40 bucks.  Then, buy a cheap but adequate battery from my favorite Wallys World for about 70 bucks.  I already have a couple of trickle chargers so that is all you need I think.  Nothing fancy.  Emergency use only.

Are you prepared to give up humidification and the use of heated hoses? 

Remember the DC-DC Converter from ResMed and the necessity of purchasing a "deep cycle" battery that can withstand deep discharges. Non-lead-acid batteries of sufficient capacity are not cheap, and you may need a special charger for the type of battery purchased. 

And there is the issue of the battery possibly outgassing flammable hydrogen while under charge. 

Bottom line: easier said than done.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
reply to: srlevine1
Yes, I would turn off the humidifier, but, leave a little distilled water in it. I have been on these infernal machines since 2004 and never felt the need for a heated hose. I have 2 though. Remember this is an emergency, temporary use only. I would do my battery charging in garage. If I am real lucky I can keep the battery in the garage run the wire from there to the cpap inside with me. Supposed to be 12 ft long. I have not bought anything yet. I just don't believe everything I hear or read. As for the resmed converter, that is what comes from Amazon, look it up. Won't break the bank!!
Post Reply Post Reply
I just took a look. Both connectors together are near 20 ft, plenty enough to keep the battery outside!!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow! Thank you for the advice. I would only need it if the power went out in my house, like it did last week. This is not a cheap or easy fix is it?
Post Reply Post Reply
My solution - this setup mounts inside a plastic file holder I got at goodwill for $2 - here is the design and layout

The charger is outside the box so it has ventilation air - it is fairly loud so it is plugged into a wall timer and it runs when I am not in the room.  I choose a 20amp charger mainly for the metal case and the fan.  I started with a fanless 10amp charger in a plastic case and after a week it had melted the case.

Buy cables pre-made from windy nation or battery cable USA.

This will run for 4 consecutive nights with the tank humidifier on and the tube heat on for 10 hours a night.
UNLIKE lead acid batteries the LiFePO4 batteries do not OFF-GAS anything when charging
Total weight is about 22lbs....  Between the higher capacity than a deep cycle and lower weight it is worth every penny.

Pros - 
Weight - 22lbs total
Duration - 4 nights verse 1 night
Heated hose and humidifier on instead of OFF
Longevity - last 10 years with minimal degredation - 

Cons - 
Cost - sorta - this lasts 10 years verse 3~5 for lead acid.

Parts list:

battery - $299 - you can get cheaper, just make sure it is quality
https://www.amazon.com/Litime-LiFePO4-Ba...B0BX8S2VJ5
Charger $89
https://www.amazon.com/Lithium-Battery-C...B08PZ7LBT6

MANDITORY- do not skip this type fuse for a generic automotive, the LFP battery puts out higher current when shorted.
Fuse with holder$16
https://www.amazon.com/BOJACK-Terminal-M...B0CHJN41TV
You need to be able to turn it off.
Switch $14
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B17BGHPS

Sub-total - $418

Optional - pick one - battery monitor
round $37
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FGFFHC6
rectangle and a bit more info - $59
https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Backli...B0C6K4J7Q4

I run off the resmed brand 12v adapter to avoid the losses associated with converting back to AC just to have to convert to DC

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
This is very accurate, I just finished testing with my battery backup solution last night. 

I got the Medistrom24 battery (thank you insurance), I know it is supposed to be used without heated hose and no humidification, but I was curious so I left them on. I also to be honest wasn't sure how to turn both off and didn't want to mess around with the settings to much. From fully charged I lasted around 3 hours, I was kind of disappointed with this result to be honest. 

I had an old UPS battery (100Ah) sitting in my garage (was being tossed out at work but it seemed okay enough to me), so I built a case for it out of wood. I then added a couple 12V sockets on it, then found some small solar panels (I would like to be able to get it so I can take it camping for a week or so). I got a ResMed (to AS11) cable and hooked it all together. 

With heated hose and humidity turned on I slept 6:28 (Sunday), 7:06 (Monday), 6:42 (Tuesday), 7:42 (Wednesday), and about half an hour before it died last night. 

My only issue is that this setup weighs around 75lbs  Rolling laugh 

I plan to get it charged back up and see how these results change without heated hose, then without humidification, then without both.
Post Reply Post Reply
@robbob2112

Well Done!
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
I forgot a couple of things -

With heated hose and humidifer it consumes 260Wh (Watt Hours)
Without it consumes 70Wh.

100Ah LiFePO4 (LFP) battery at 12.8v
100Ah * 12.8v = 1280Wh.

Can safely use 90% of this capacity
1280Wh * 0.9 = 1152Wh
1152Wh / 4 = 288Wh

So the math pretty closely follows reality.

MediStrom Pilot–24 Lite Battery has 95Wh of capacity - I would expect it to last 2.5 to 3.5hrs depending on how your settings are on the CPAP - higher pressure means more power used.  Uses LiPo batteries.

SLA (sealed lead acid) - and AGM -  to avoid damage you only use down to 50%.  You can use 100% of it maybe 50 times and it will fail to take or keep a charge.  Each time it takes more damage.  In any case the batteries have a total of about 300 cycles to 50% or 3 years and they are done, if they are charged to fast or overcharged it is more like 2 years.  Some VERY expensive ones can be used 100% repeatedly and they have a 10 year life.  Can get is nearly any size Ah.

FLA (flooded lead acid) similar rules to SLA and life except the there are no 10 year versions.

LiFePO4 - 3000+ charge cycles, 10 year life before degrading, 15 year life with 10% degraded.  Unlike LiPo they won't burst into flames sponkaniously when damaged.  If they are damaged they do vent hydrogen so that can catch, but it requires an ignition source.

Assuming your 100ah UPS is in good shape with new batteries you can do the math and guess how it I'll come out.

Can attach a SCC (solar charge controller) and a couple of solar panels and no need to plug in.

One note - the LFP batteries shouldn't be stored or kept at full charge, so I run it down by 25% nightly and it recharges daily.

I have been using this for 6 months now.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed 11 Battery Backup sptrout 6 332 09-26-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: LyndMc
  [Equipment] Battery covered by insurance? Zombie on my Lawn 1 108 09-26-2024, 06:14 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
Gross Back strap causing itchy scalp SuzieQsleep 1 115 09-21-2024, 11:19 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 5 867 09-17-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Bob Cali
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 12 4,706 08-19-2024, 07:41 AM
Last Post: mufitcakir
  Back up Battery Problem Kimb 3 319 08-01-2024, 12:11 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Do I need a BiPAP? phoen1kx 2 343 07-30-2024, 04:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.