Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bipap vs Cpap/Apap
Bipap vs Cpap/Apap
Anyone find they did worse on Bipap.

I have been struggling and was thinking about going back to Apap. I don’t remember ever feeling as bad as I do right now on Bipap. Which is weird because it has been a year and a half, and this started in July and every day is worse. I struggled with APAP but have since gotten nasal surgery to fix my septum and reduce turbinate. Perhaps it will fit me better now.

Went to the cardiologist and they say I am fine. Sleep doctor cant get me in until November, and I am not sure I will make it 2 more days let alone 2 months
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Bipap vs Cpap/Apap
Straight cpap fixed pressure reduced my AHI more than using bipap (bilevel) on my PSG sleep study.   That was only because bipap caused a very large amount of CA's (but it helped reduce all other events).  The obvious direction to go after this for me was a bilevel with a back up rate.  

With you VAuto, you can reduce the pressure support and it should act like an apap I think.  Wouldn't hurt to give it a try if you can tweak your pressure(s) to mimic apap.  If it doesn't work, you can always switch back to your current best set up.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
I have attached my sleep study:

My SLeep study they started me on 8/4 I had TECA at first, but once they changed me to 9/5 it went away. They sent me on my way and over the time I have worked on here to adjust settings to optimize. Worked well for a few months, but now it's causing me centrals and I am afraid I have made too many changes and destroyed my sleep. I have tried to go back to 9/5 and it didnt work for me. 

I still have my APap machine in my closet, so I do have the option of busting it out and trying. I am just worried that I feel so bad, and that could make things worse. with that said, I am on my own until November.

My oxygen and apneas were worse almost while on Bipap vs just sleeping with nothing. My baseline is better than what I am at currently experiencing with my machine.

Attached Files
.pdf   Sleep Study.pdf (Size: 792.61 KB / Downloads: 5)
Post Reply Post Reply
There are setting for the VAUTO that will help your centrals and it has several setting that can help where the cpap just can't.  I suggest you post your OSCAR charts. We can take a look at them and help.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-06-2024, 11:05 PM)staceyburke Wrote: There are setting for the VAUTO that will help your centrals and it has several setting that can help where the cpap just can't.  I suggest you post your OSCAR charts.  We can take a look at them and help.

My charts are in the below thread. I dont want to cross pollinate.

Bipap Settings Help | Apnea Board
Post Reply Post Reply
I see a problem with your sleep study (based on how mine was done).  You had 16.8 central apneas per hour when they got you down to 0 obstructive apneas.  On my PSG, they then started using a back up rate to stop both the obstructives and centrals and that worked for me personally.  They stopped at just using bipap with you and not trying to stop the 16.8 centrals per hour you were having.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
Well mine says (if i am reading it right) all my centrals occurred at 8/4 but when they moved me to 9/5 they went away. It’s also a small window, so i get them at 9/5 in my home usages though.

I don’t know what the minimum is and if they ever are supposed to be 0 overtime, but my listed events are always centrals only, and who knows how many aren’t flagged
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for clarifying that.  That is strange.  Sorry I misinterpreted your sleep study.  

I am with you in that I am a bit confused on what is happening and how to correctly address it.  Your sleep study did mention treatment emergent central apneas, so there is a possibility that your CA's could diminish in time.  I wonder if your surgery is the cause of your current situation?  I had the same surgery.  It should increase airflow through the nose significantly.  Possibly, you are breathing so much better now, that you are washing out more and more CO2, which can cause some centrals.

Just another thought:  have you tried reducing your pressure(s) a bit more to see if that helps?  Especially the pressure support?
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Post Reply Post Reply
Yea i went straight 8 cm of pressure last night. Still had 4 ahi of centrals, but think it will take some getting used to.

My original sleep study in 2021 on cpap was 8cm and my ahi and rdi was 0.3 over 8 hours. Figured i throw back to that as a baseline reset
Post Reply Post Reply
It looks to me like you had your best night using the Vauto with your pressures at 8 and 15 on August 11th.  You had no CAs and low hypopneas.  Unless you had some other problem maybe you should go back to that.

Also, there is nothing that an Apap or Cpap can do that the Vauto can't do. Sleeprider says that in a better world, the Vauto would be the best for everyone unless they need an ASV or Ventilator. (My paraphrase)
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  APAP VS AP Dynamic larrygreg 14 452 Yesterday, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Jay51
Question [Symptoms] Waking up every 3-4 hours with APAP gabitzu 6 161 Yesterday, 09:06 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Weinmann / Löwenstein Prisma 20A Auto CPAP: APAP settings: standard vs. dynamic Costas P 7 12,693 09-12-2024, 09:22 AM
Last Post: donsburg
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 46 2,830 09-08-2024, 04:34 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3
  returning APAP'er, help interpreting OSCAR please :) tml678 2 220 08-21-2024, 11:06 PM
Last Post: tml678
  carnuntum - Switching from Prisma APAP to Aircurve bi-level therapy carnuntum 8 1,469 08-16-2024, 05:19 AM
Last Post: carnuntum
  Resmed Airsense 10 APAP? daBee 33 1,802 08-15-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: daBee

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.