Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Recently Diagnosed, Just started treatment, looking for advice.
RE: Recently Diagnosed, Just started treatment, looking for advice.
OK, pretty quick response there.

Then with that bit of info, the CA showing on OSCAR will be of the treatment emergent Central Apnea variety. You may need to play that CA avoid game I mentioned, or something similar where you are able to get your body used to CPAP therapy. Try to get the hours you need not only for therapy but also compliance.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
you had 2 centrals over 8h during your sleep study. most of the ones you are seeing now are treatment emergent.

here's a pretty good link to learn more about it https://www.verywellhealth.com/what-is-c...ea-3015311 but the important bit is at end, it will usually resolves itself within 8 weeks.

i would implement Dave's settings to try and reduce them in the mean time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bit of an update for the past week:

I was traveling quite a bit, which made it harder to keep to a consistent schedule, but I did bring the machine with me and used it as much as possible.

I turned the EPR and ramp off to combat the open airway events, and turned the min pressure down to 7 as I felt 8 was too high, and that seamed to be more comfortable, as soon as I did this, I was able to keep the cpap on for a full night, two nights in a row, which I had never done before.

The two nights after that were not as successful.

Issues I've noticed:

1.  I find myself waking up feeling like I'm just not getting enough oxygen, even after breathing through the mouth for a while, at this point I usually take the mask off for the night.  I suspect that this might just be psychological, but it's an issue regardless.

2.  I felt that often when I woke up, the mask air felt very cold.  I do have the heated hose, but I also sleep in a fairly cold basement.  I ordered a cover for the hose, which I used last night, but was unable to fall asleep, I think the air may have been too humid (see below).

3.  While I have a full face mask, I'm trying to mostly breath through my nose, since breathing through my mouth leaves it feeling very dry.  Unfortunately, I often find it hard to breath through my nose.  I think it's a combination of congestion, and just having a small nose.  But it just never seems like I can get enough air, and my right nostril usually feels mostly blocked, particularly at night, possible due to laying down.  I turned the humidity up to help clear up my sinuses, but it hasn't made that big of a difference, and I think it makes the feeling of not getting enough air worse.

Here are a few graphs if they help, I included one night where I used the mask the whole night (Thursday), One where I woke up and felt like I had to take it off (Saturday), and one where I couldn't fell asleep until after I took it off (Sunday - last night).

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I have to say I'm thinking you're setting yourself up for trouble with mask removal and quitting for the night early at times. You're going to start a reward mode for stopping early, making it easier to quit for small resistance. I'm not saying things aren't difficult to adjust to it, or CA aren't problematic.

I've not looked over the thread for a bit, but have you tried pillows masks? They deliver air direct to your nostrils, maybe helping with breathing.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will keep that in mind and keep trying.

I also ordered a nasal pillow mask, I wanted to try one anyway.
Post Reply Post Reply
Keep trying, that's all we can ask. Best to ya.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UARS Treatment [Using Philips ASV] SenatorBirch 33 4,975 51 minutes ago
Last Post: SenatorBirch
  Just started 6 days ago! benjaminjaquith 17 479 3 hours ago
Last Post: benjaminjaquith
  1 Week in - Treatment regimen central apnea? mikaelbb 0 54 Today, 10:55 AM
Last Post: mikaelbb
  Weird Flow Rate Pattern Started 3 days ago Dodies 2 64 Yesterday, 11:42 PM
Last Post: Dodies
  CA events - Advice lukewpc 5 171 Yesterday, 04:27 PM
Last Post: lukewpc
  [Pressure] Recently diagnosed with UARS and prescribed Bilevel. Need help with settings. cloudwalker 7 537 09-29-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Jlcdsc
  Started noticing dry mouth in the morning BionicSpud 13 283 09-29-2024, 09:17 AM
Last Post: eok361

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.