Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE
Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE
Hi, bit of a background for my situation: I was diagnosed with sleep apnoea in 2020 after years of feeling tired. 

I did a 3 night at home sleep study, which showed I have mild sleep apnoea (between 7-12 hypopneas per hour)
Oxygen sats never below 95%, but I experience severe symptoms.

I was prescribed a CPAP machine but just could not get used to it at the time so gave up. I trialled a mandibular advancement device and found it too painful, had surgery (tongue base and palate radiofrequency ablation, tonsillectomy, turbinate reduction), my symptoms persisted. I am pretty overweight (BMI over 30). I lost 25KG in weight, symptoms persisted and I gained back the weight. Fast forward to 2023, my symptoms continue to be unbearable so I bought a CPAP to try it out again.

After a week of using it, I managed to have a full night's sleep using the machine, and felt a little bit better. The next night I managed to use it all night again, but after waking up I felt truly awful. I felt so anxious and off all day, it's made me not want to use it again.

I was hoping to get some advice on what may have happened, I kept the settings the same as the night before but had very different readings. 

I've found that I can't use EPR at all because I feel the mask squishing up and down on my face and I can't fall asleep.

Also I'm brand new to the forum so apologies in advance if I've messed anything up rules-wise!

Thank you in advance!

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE
Really doesn’t look to bad. I would try EPR(exhale pressure relief).

Set RPR on FULL TIME
EPR 3

Give it a try and post again.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
You are having some leak related arousals too, looks like.
Post Reply Post Reply
Flow limits range from 0.07 to 0.28 on these charts, which is high. Flow limitation is confirmed by the long inspiration time compared to expiration time, which represents more respiratory effort to get a breath, followed by normal expiration. This effort is especially evident in the 8/15 flow rate. Turn EPR on full-time to setting 3, and most of those flow limits and the associated respiratory effort related arousals will resolve. You'll feel better.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey guys,

Thanks for your help before, sorry it's been a while but I was hoping you could possibly take another look at my data.

I've set my machine to EPR 3 full time and gotten used to it, I'm now falling asleep quite easily with it on. I'm only a couple of nights in sleeping with these settings but I just wanted to check if I should continue like this and see what happens or change the settings. I feel pretty knackered when I get up still.

Thank you in advance  Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feeling like I cannot breathe vgrando 139 12,435 2 hours ago
Last Post: vgrando
  23 yr old W/ Good AHI - Still tired and foggy daytong 7 200 Yesterday, 09:05 PM
Last Post: daytong
  Feeling bad despite all of my attempts.. And.. Central apneas. Preparedinho 31 1,214 Yesterday, 08:08 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  AHI looks good, but still feeling bad nh00 54 3,590 09-04-2024, 02:00 AM
Last Post: LennySleeps
  I feel guilty......... Big Guy 2 292 09-02-2024, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Big Guy
  [Equipment] I Always Wake Up Feeling Like A Blowfish Kamryn 1 127 08-29-2024, 07:53 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Diagnosis] Helping Father in Law Get Started on xPAP R and R 30 1,092 08-28-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.