Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] WHY THE SUDDEN INCREASE IN AHI
Question 
WHY THE SUDDEN INCREASE IN AHI
I had returned to using my Resmed S9 for almost 2 months during that time I was using the Swift FX mask... my AHI averaged about 2.5.  BUT, the mask's leakage percentage was high... about 30 - 34%.  The doctor prescribed the Resmed P30i to reduce leakage and create a more effective CPAP experience.   

I'm now in my fifth day of it's use and while the percentage of leakage has reduced drastically to 24%, my AHI has doubled.... even going over 5 one night.  I have insomnia and I'm a restless sleeper, turning and changing positions during the night.  Is the mask just being more effective and therefor reading the my AHI occurrences more accurately....  Or is my turning and adjusting the mask slippage during night creating a false read?

Thanks for your time and input.  Appreciated. Huh
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: WHY THE SUDDEN INCREASE IN AHI
We need to see data. Download OSCAR (free software) at the top of the site. Without that we would just be guessing. You can search wiki for Oscar to learn how to use it on wiki also at the top of the site
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Wild guess stab in the dark, Junk sleep CA' s as do say restless, but in reality need post a Chart for those more in the knowledge to who will read analyse chart to determine possible issue ?
Post Reply Post Reply
We would need to see your charts to speak to this as they likely hold the answer. Post your nightly OSCAR charts so we don't have to guess.

AHI increases because of Increased Hypopneas and Apneas. The question is why?

New Obstruction?
Random Events
Pressure change (increase)
Pressure change (decrease)
Pressure Change (EPR increase)
Pressure Change (EPR decrease)
Pressure Change (fluctuations)
Pressure didn't change in reaction to events
Meds
Pain Killers
Brain Trauma
Brain Stroke
Seizures
Not enough CO2
The consistently inconsistent behavior of CA events

need I go on, these are some of what we consider depending on what we see on your charts.

Please post a nightly chart so we don't have to guess.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2021, 09:51 AM)staceyburke Wrote: We need to see data.  Download OSCAR (free software) at the top of the site. Without that we would just be guessing. You can search wiki for Oscar to learn how to use it on wiki also at the top of the site

(09-01-2021, 10:44 AM)Gideon Wrote: We would need to see your charts to speak to this as they likely hold the answer.  Post your nightly OSCAR charts so we don't have to guess.

AHI increases because of Increased Hypopneas and Apneas.  The question is why?

New Obstruction?
Random Events
Pressure change (increase)
Pressure change (decrease)
Pressure Change (EPR increase)
Pressure Change (EPR decrease)
Pressure Change (fluctuations)
Pressure didn't change in reaction to events
Meds
Pain Killers
Brain Trauma
Brain Stroke
Seizures
Not enough CO2
The consistently inconsistent behavior of CA events

need I go on, these are some of what we consider depending on what we see on your charts.

Please post a nightly chart so we don't have to guess.
Thank you all for your recommendation to identify why the AHI Increase.  I have attached an CVS of the last 3 weeks of my Resmed S9 data chart.  FYI, about two weeks ago I switched from the Resmed FX Swift Mask to the Resmed P30i, that's when i began to notice the increase in my AHI. I'm a pretty restless sleeper with insomnia.  And I was experiencing a high percentage of mask leaks with the FX.  I had started my CPAP usage in 2011....discontinued in 2014... and recently resumed at the end of June when I had retested and found to have a moderate Apnea condition.

I have also found the pillow application to be irritating to the nostrils and have currently swapped out the pillow on the P30i for the Nasal attachment.  And while, I find that more comfortable, less annoying, I'm now awakening at night and finding the air intake heavy or thick to breathe in.... though my Resmed is set at Auto Set.

It's probably time for me to consult with my doctor.

Thank you all for the concern and attention.  Find the Resmed Chart attached.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
We really need to see a daily chart of the problem not a summary. I have a link to the charts we need in my signature at the bottom of the post.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2021, 09:51 AM)staceyburke Wrote: We need to see data.  Download OSCAR (free software) at the top of the site. Without that we would just be guessing. You can search wiki for Oscar to learn how to use it on wiki also at the top of the site

Unfortunately, I am unclear of what you need.  If I send you a daily chart, it will be for only one day...
Post Reply Post Reply
Please use OSCAR's "F12"  screen capture feature.  A screenshot of the Daily screen will provide a lot of information.  Also, of the 4 screen options on the left side of the Daily screen, make sure that you have the (default) Details tab selected.  You may wish to browse the links in my signature to help in understanding OSCAR.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As others have said, without Daily data it's a guess. You have given a possible clue to your situation. Leak rates went down and events went up.

Here's what my guess is, your leaks were so high that the therapy blew out of the mask instead of to your lungs. Your events read low falsely. The PAP couldn't count them accurately. Then you changed masks, leaks went down but events went up because now your PAP has a better, more accurate account due to lower leaks. Again it's a guess.

Please show a Daily chart before and after you changed masks and you'll likely see why things changed as they did.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
We need a one day - the one with increased apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Sudden Unexplained Increase in Leak Rate lygodia 9 381 07-22-2024, 08:45 PM
Last Post: lygodia
Question Recent increase in Clear Airway events cupcakechinchilla 4 264 07-15-2024, 01:53 PM
Last Post: cupcakechinchilla
  Sudden AHI spikes on Airsense 11 apap Snoozer65 10 644 07-01-2024, 04:50 PM
Last Post: Snoozer65
  Calorie restriction and AHI increase. NorthernGuy 2 215 06-12-2024, 08:58 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Sudden burst of CA's because left arm was out of bed! BigWing 13 574 05-02-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Sudden CPAP Intolerance? jstro84 8 371 04-30-2024, 07:39 PM
Last Post: jstro84
Question Sudden increase in central apneas eyeloveeyez 1 296 04-25-2024, 05:09 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.