Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP carry-on case and flying question?
RE: CPAP carry-on case and flying question...?
You are allowed to say Amazon or Office Max, but you can't use links or .com extensions when that is part of the name. You're on the right track.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Any reason why you would want to have the CPAP equipment as carry-on instead of checked in luggage, if you do not intend to use it during the flight (of course unless there is no checked in main luggage)?
In pursuit of a goodnight sleep | Receive a discount at Wellue Health
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-21-2018, 10:11 AM)bonum.noctem Wrote: Any reason why you would want to have the CPAP equipment as carry-on instead of checked in luggage, if you do not intend to use it during the flight (of course unless there is no checked in main luggage)?

I would never check CPAP equipment I keep it with me at all times so it arrives at my destination with me and does not get thrown about damaged whilst traveling in the hold or out of my sight.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do not want to check it is as member JasWilliams alludes....

I have considered placing it within the checked luggage itself, but do not want to cause concern that might prompt the opening of it when not in my eyesight.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-21-2018, 10:18 AM)jaswilliams Wrote:
(07-21-2018, 10:11 AM)bonum.noctem Wrote: Any reason why you would want to have the CPAP equipment as carry-on instead of checked in luggage, if you do not intend to use it during the flight (of course unless there is no checked in main luggage)?

I would never check CPAP equipment I keep it with me at all times so it arrives at my destination with me and does not get thrown about damaged whilst traveling in the hold or out of my sight.

Indeed, that's wasn't thought well through on my end. My wife always packs the luggage extraordinary well, so I would not have had concerns that the equipment could be damaged, but it makes sense to hold on to that precious item especially in fear that the checked-in luggage would not make it (in time or at all) to the destination airport.
Post Reply Post Reply
Keeping your CPAP as a separate extra allowed item also helps with the weight limits. I've flown on airlines with a 50# checked bag and varying limits for carryons. They usually don't weight the carryons but it's a possibility.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-21-2018, 11:26 AM)IBubba in NC Wrote: Keeping your CPAP as a separate extra allowed item also helps with the weight limits. I've flown on airlines with a 50# checked bag and varying limits for carryons. They usually don't weight the carryons but it's a possibility.

Yes, good point as well, we most of the times check in luggage at the weight limit.

So points taken, always have your CPAP equipment as a carry-on!

About flying:

Can anybody tell his or her experience with using a CPAP machine during flight?

From what I've read, some airlines (like Air Canada) do not allow the in-flight use of CPAP machines connected to the airplane's power supply (if the seat has a power socket). I am usually only on one or two long distance flights per year not justifying the purchase of a mobile CPAP machine like an AirMini or Dreamstation Go, but then I'm totally stressed out because I simply can't sleep in an upright position laying on my back, and if I fall asleep somehow it results in severe snoring.
Post Reply Post Reply
Couple of things - always have your CPAP as checked baggage. As for what you can put in the bag - anything that is directly related to the machine, any other med equipment (wife used to stick her stimulator charger in the bag, as well as any and all medications. 

My carry on bag for my CPAP is the size of an oversized laptop case and will hold both of our CPAP machines.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a camera bag for my cpap machine and mask. It also has a sleeve for my laptop. I have never had a problem carrying it as a free checkin everywhere in the US and internationally. This is usually possible because security guys do not enforce free/paid carry on policies. And gate agents don’t look into your bag.

YMMV.
Post Reply Post Reply
My laptop bag fits in the backpack I carry on with my "essentials" in it, cap/sunglasses/jacket/phone chargers/lollies.. and the backpack still has enough room for any odd bits I may purchase prior to boarding. 

The CPAP bag contains a myriad of "extras" in it, 2 mt. extension lead/ 3 point power board/ S hooks to hang the hose from a suitable point above or on the bedhead/ hand towel to wrap the machine in/ small nylon kitchen board for the machine to sit on ( not keen on trusting how clean motel carpet may be ) / and a couple of clothes pegs... you may be amazed at how useful some of these seemingly strange items can be.. to date I have not had anything in my CPAP bag queried, the major airlines I've flown with seem to be very familiar with CPAP machines being taken on international flights. ( or maybe I've just been lucky enough to get someone on the x-ray machine who is a CPAP user themselves, and knows what they were looking at.   Grin )
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  (Canada) Air transat saying a CPAP machine is counted as a carry on deadboy 19 1,132 08-12-2024, 10:29 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  CPAP Positioning Question Thomas021923 7 403 07-11-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Narcil
  New to CPAP - Question about my OSCAR Data Oikos22girls 6 402 06-29-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Oikos22girls
  The case against EPR? Narcil 7 681 06-01-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Airsense 11 warranty case labrat 3 557 03-21-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 1,226 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New CPAP user Question mcast10 2 537 01-07-2024, 10:59 AM
Last Post: mcast10

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.