Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] eok361 - Therapy Thread
RE: At wits end with new machine and leak rates
I am on CPAP mode because after looking at Oscar I realized that my best sleep was right around 11 in the pressure setting. When I had it at 8-16 I was registering many more leaks, and what appeared to be bad machine markers (CA,H,OA, etc).

This is last night's data. I tried to really tighten up my lips before taping, and these were the results.

This section  was with the N20, v-com (at machine, not at the mask), and a soft collar. 

Interestingly, the card didn't register the first hour of the night, where I was wearing the FF mask. It was miserable. I was snoring enough to wake up my partner a couple of times. She said I was snoring really loudly. I don't know why the card missed it. I'm sure those numbers would have been awful.

If the minor adjustment I made in taping can keep the numbers like this, I'll be quite happy with them.

Thanks for asking.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
One more question, have you tried the EPR feature on your machine? It helps with flow limits and improves comfort for most people. I would recommend turning EPR on full time and experimenting with settings 1-3 to see what works and feels best to you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have not turned on the EPR. I don't know if having that on--in conjunction with the V-Com--would be counterintuitive. Plus, both of the CPAP youtube guys say it's a meaningless setting. 

I'm quite happy with last night's results. If the minor adjustment to taping is going to yield results like this, then I'll just keep the machine setup as it is.

Thanks for the reply.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well of course, no one is wrong on YouTube. Don't let the fact it makes your Airsense 10 a bilevel machine with limited 3-cm pressure support, or that it directly and quantitatively treats and improves flow limitations, hypopnea and RERA and dramatically changes the effectiveness of treatment for many users (but not all), get in the way of your internet confidence.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Concerning the taping, make sure the tap is long enough to cover the corners of your mouth, that I have found is the weak point.

If that doesn't work, add another section on the tape on top of the first, just to see if it works..

I would suggest a 10cm wide tape to be on the safe side.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have found a chin strap to be better than taping in my case.  I started out by using tape (wide) and then added a chin strap when that didn't work fully.  Later I removed the tape and just use a chin strap.  I use the ResMed type strap since it is thin, comfortable and holds well. The chin strap holds my jaw in place.
Post Reply Post Reply
The overall prevailing thought on the internet and many medical teams is that if it might, not will, cause central apneas, then don't use it. By this thinking please put your CPAP away because the simple use of a CPAP may, not will, cause an increase in central apnea. The same goes for any pressure increase, and it's by the same mechanism that may, not will, cause central apneas if EPR is utilized. Do realize that much of this same group feels EPR is safe during the ramp because they never see central apnea there. Care to guess why? Well the manufacturers do not report any events during the ramp simply because you are not at therapeutic pressure, and if it isn't reported, it doesn't exist right.

Here I agree with Sleeprider, the AutoSet with it's implementation of EPR is effectively a BiLevel that is limited to a max PS of 3 and typically is the best treatment for flow limits RERAS, hypopneas that you can possibly get short of a BiLevel and has enabled thousands of users to comfortably resolve their obstructive events without the need for a more expensive BiLevel machine. It is extremely effective.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it's worth noting that one can set the AutoSet to provide a fixed level for IPAP and a lower fixed level for EPAP, thereby getting the therapeutic effects of EPR without having the Autoset change EPAP and IPAP pressures up and down during the night in response to perceived or anticipated apnea events. For example, one could set the AutoSet's minimum and maximum pressures to 10, set EPR to 3, and the result would be a fixed IPAP of 10 and a fixed EPAP of 7.

For someone who doesn't do well with fluctuating IPAP and EPAP pressures, but nevertheless benefits from a pressure difference between them, the AutoSet's ability to provide different static pressures for inhalation and exhalation can be a big plus.
Post Reply Post Reply
with a couple minor adjustments, i am much happier with the last few night's results. 

for now it requires both tape and a collar, with the v-com at the mask. i'm going to see if i can eliminate the collar with a few positional moves.

thanks for all the replies. 

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HenryECole81 - Therapy Thread HenryECole81 25 500 09-06-2024, 05:28 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  NewlyDiagnosed therapy thread NewlyDiagnosed 124 4,887 09-06-2024, 11:22 AM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
Brick Cape67's Therapy Thread Cape67 6 277 09-06-2024, 11:09 AM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  [CPAP] xirokx - Therapy Thread xirokx 76 1,372 09-05-2024, 08:43 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Abdulfakih - Therapy Thread Abdulfakih 118 4,259 09-05-2024, 08:26 PM
Last Post: Abdulfakih
  Auroraborealis Sleep Data thread - thoughts on hypoxemia Auroraborealis 8 135 09-05-2024, 12:32 PM
Last Post: Auroraborealis
  MaggieL, Better than a Sweaty Zombie Meat Sack Therapy Thread MaggieL 51 3,004 09-05-2024, 09:50 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.