Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia
RE: help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia
If it helps on getting switched to BPAP, mention the discomfort with CPAP aspect. "It feels uncomfortable" (fill in the info as applicable) may be suitable to consider the change according to the doc. It depends on the info the doc wants. Some will comply with the request for BPAP for comfort, others due to better therapy abilities available with the BPAP.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Normal I:E ratios will range from 1:1 (both the same) to 1:3 (inspiration time 1/3 of expiration time). A typical I:E ratio is 1:2. A more common way of expressing this is to divide the expiration time by inspiration time and express expiration as a fraction of one, so a 1:2 ratio becomes 0.5 to one. Inspiration time longer than expiration time suggests an anomaly that is the result of an obstructed airway with high flow resistance or flow limitation, poor lung compliance due to COPD, asthma, or other pulmonary condition, or weak inspiratory muscles or neurological problems. Serious conditions can be ruled out or confirmed with a simple pulmonary function test that can be performed in your general practice physician's office or by a pulmonologist. It is a routine examination using spirometry. If PFT shows normal function, the an inverse I:E ratio may be a symptom of sleep disordered breathing and flow limitation. In most cases, a long inspiration time can be resolved by using pressure support to supplement spontaneous effort with a mechanical ventilation assist, i.e. pressure support from a bilevel PAP.

In the chart posted of therapy 2/10/24, we saw a insp time of 2:48 and exp time of 1.75 or, 1.42 to one. This is inverse spontaneous ventilation ratio (greater than one to one) to the expected which would transpose the I and E times. The chart shows a persistently high flow limitation or upper airway resistance. Although the AHI is low at 1.37, this kind of inspiratory flow limitation would cause a great deal of respiratory effort to be expended to get a full breath, and the person with this pattern complains of arousals, unsatisfying sleep, fatigue and daytime sleepiness. This can be remedied with bilevel, which can be prescribed by the doctor solely on the basis of those comfort complaints.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It took awhile but the Aircurve 10 Vauto is here and was used last night.  So far it's not encouraging but we assume there will be some acclimation needed.

Min EPAP:  6
Max IPAP: 14.   Started at 17 but she was feeling smothered and panicky.  It stayed at 14
PS  8

The good parts
  1. I:E is not inverted anymore.  Med I:1.42  E:3.76.
  2. Flow limitations are no longer constant.
The bad parts
  1. AHI last night was 9.72   CA:6.31 with vast majority happening when she was trying to get to sleep.  The balance was mostly OAs
  2. Aerophagia worse again.

PS/FWIW:  Worked with TheCPAPShop to get the updated script and AirCurve10 Vauto.  Ordered the card to cloud form but they ran out so substituted data type for same cost.  The update of prescription was done via a video appointment with SleepCareOnline.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Wow! Where did PS 8.0 come from? Let's start over.
EPAP min 6.0
Max IPAP 13.0
PS 4.0
Ti Min 0.3
Ti Max 2.8
Trigger: Med
Cycle: Med
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Those setting made a big difference.  AHI less than 1 each night now. 

After a few nights it looks like her min OA avoiding pressure is something above 6.5 as each time the machine trends down to about 6.5 an OA happens in a few minutes.  I've bumped min to 6.8 to see if that makes a noticeable difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't hesitate to increase EPAP min to 7.0 or your best judgement. Everything else can stay the same. Post a chart when you get a chance.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
The last 2 nights have had AHI below one.  Generally she feels like she is getting better sleep than she was with the AirSense.

The slight increase in Min EPAP may have helped a little.

Aerophagia has been an issue both nights.

Post Reply Post Reply
Drop max IPAP to 13 cm and see if that helps with aerophagia. That will still leave plenty of room to increase for obstruction and keeps the flow limits down. I'm glad sleep is better.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
After almost 2 weeks the AirCurve is providing her good benefit.  The trigger was changed to High as it wasn't staying with her on E to I transition.  Max was changed to 12 due to more days of aerophagia.  AHI is typically 0.9 or less.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow Limit Error? MrIvanDrago 7 157 10-04-2024, 11:09 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  New to CPAP - Aerophagia? LFS9000 5 212 10-02-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Leaks and Flow Rates cyberfiche 4 215 10-02-2024, 10:38 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Weird Flow Rate Pattern Started 3 days ago Dodies 2 89 09-30-2024, 11:42 PM
Last Post: Dodies
  is this flow limitation? shyguy 2 216 09-30-2024, 10:00 PM
Last Post: shyguy
  Flow Limits How to Upgrade CPAP to Bilevel Deborah K. 114 13,666 09-29-2024, 06:57 PM
Last Post: Fixit50
  How do I lower flow limits on my ASV? apneavolt 5 130 09-29-2024, 05:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.