Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can someone explain how EPR reduces flow limitation?
RE: Can someone explain how EPR reduces flow limitation?
Szabo, i want to add to your comment about the lungs not being fully emptied.

I would like to know if you, and others, agree with the following...

For air to get to the bottom of the lungs where the alveoli are, breathing needs to be slow, light and deep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-25-2024, 08:48 AM)SeePak Wrote: I would like to know if you, and others, agree with the following...

For air to get to the bottom of the lungs where the alveoli are, breathing needs to be slow, light and deep.

It sounds reasonable. Yoga has been promoting similar techniques for centuries. Nevertheless, my opinion does not count when it comes to medical practice. We should look into the practice of operating professional respirators in hospitals. 
By the way, each of these respirators utilizes more than 3 EPRs.
Post Reply Post Reply
Szabo, yes and i believe it is scientific, not just reasonable, but here's why i ask and what i want to point out.....

Almost all of us have breathing problems depending on what science you read.

Thats why we have sleep apnea in the first place!

Would you also agree that CPAP may be the gold standard, however it treats the symptoms, not the cause?
It does not fix our breathing or our airway properties.

You can see it in the charts.
Sometimes you see fast/shallow frequent breaths,   that would preclude air even reaching the bottom of lungs, as it would mostly be changing only in the upper airways.

so my point here is we MUST get our breathing corrected, with breathing exercises,  at the same time we use CPAP!

Oh, and btw, yoga was meant for breathing to be slow, light and deep.

The deep part was mis-interpreted thru the years, to mean large fast breaths, which is exactly opposite, and because of this mis-information, people are re-enforcing bad breathing habits!
Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP and most spontaneous bilevel PAP are useful to stent upper airway tissue and mitigate the symptoms of flow limitation, hypopnea and obstructive apnea. These are not respiratory assist devices (RAD) that are capable of altering the rate or volume of spontaneous respiration. A person with pulmonary impairments that prevent normal tidal volume or respiratory rate that affects their overall health, should be prescribed an appropriate RAD or ventilator for their condition. Even with bilevel therapy, it is very difficult to influence minute volume or pulmonary function. A diagnosis of obstructive sleep apnea does not mean a person has a breathing problem or pulmonary issue beyond the obstruction of the upper airway. You will see members post charts here that vary considerably in tidal volume, respiratory rate, I:E ratio and other metrics, and positive air pressure can help to remove the obstructive component that affects those metrics. Beyond that, we need a few more tools.

People with or without OSA rarely fill the alvoli in the lungs to dull capacity and expire that entire volume in any breath. This describes a forced expiratory volume or forced vital capaciy test in a pulmonary function test. If we routinely did that we would pass out. Good pulmonary health is important to all of us, but it's not the target of CPAP or spontaneous bilevel, which are mainly used to normalize the relaxed sleep respiration of a sleeping individual with obstructive airway disorders, not pulmonary or neurological disorders.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider.

Depending on how a 'breathing problem' is defined would determine if not all people that have OSA have a breathing problem.

Anatomical, physiological and psychological all play a part for sure.

Sorry, did not really want to get into a pissing contest here, i probably provoked it, my mistake.

What i find interesting but also frustrating is how the industry experts can disagree between themselves.

I'm just wading thru all the science to help find how i can have a life without CPAP.

And breathing appears to be a way out, as claimed by others who have done it.

Back to the thread subject, EPR and flow limitation, i have had a history of CA events and obstructive when EPR is used.

Looking at my Oscar overview and drilling down i find that when EPR was used AND the pressure drops below 6 cm or so, i get obstructive events.
That lead me to make sure that when i used EPR i made sure i stayed above that level, and it definitely made a difference. ( i got that from this site in Wiki !)
However, CA events became a problem leading to much time in apnea, which must have lead to bad sleep !?
And so far, CA events are still an issue even without EPR!

If i was sleeping OK during the night and not the day, i would never have made it to this website nor would i be probing in detail thru all the Oscar data.

In retrospect, i'm glad i did, cause i am learning so much from this site!

Thank you all.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to clarify, I don't consider any disagreement to be a "pissing contest". If the point of the forum was to establish one point of view, it would not be a discussion. An idea that is disputed can make all participants involved or observing think about what is being proposed and end up with a better understanding. FWIW, it would be a better world if we could treat all forms of dispute similarly with an open mind.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider, thanx for that.

I get worried i am being argumentative sometimes.

Feel better now, thanx ! Thanks

So the other thought that i wanted to respond to was breathing slow, light and deep ( from diaphragm) would be excessive and cause us to pass out.

I dont understand that statement, am i paraphrasing you correctly?
Post Reply Post Reply
Not really. I was describing a forced full inspiration or exhale. I think we are all better off breathing in a normal comfortable manner. Once you fall asleep the subconscious takes over anyway. This is especially important for ASV which targets the previous 90 seconds of breath rate and volume and can be really messed up by “thinking “ about your breathing.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unusual flow estgad 1 17 11 minutes ago
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Changing flow limitations Made 12 243 48 minutes ago
Last Post: Made
  [CPAP] Help Me Understand Flow Limitations! usernameissleepy2396 1 37 1 hour ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Flow Rate/Limitation Question gr3gg0 10 323 10-25-2024, 12:16 AM
Last Post: THEVGE
  flow limitation due to poistion ? obstructedairway101 7 283 10-24-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: ruffybirdy
  EPR 1, hight flow limit, but lots of CA throwaway1242 8 330 10-19-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Switched to full face mask last night. Flow limitation increased obstructedairway101 13 452 10-18-2024, 08:36 PM
Last Post: obstructedairway101

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.