Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can't install Oscar.
Can't install Oscar.
        I have tried several times to install Oscar.  I get the message "Unable to create the OSCAR data folder at: C:/Users/Geoff Curtis/Documents/OSCAR_Data". I am the administrator of the computer. I tried to manually create the folder and then got the message: "Unable to write to OSCAR data directory C:/Users/Geoff Curtis/Documents/OSCAR_Data Error code 5 - The system cannot find the file specified. OSCAR cannot continue and is exiting."

What is happening here?

I then tried to install it on my laptop and everything worked fine. Everything I tried on the desktop has failed. Since I am selling the laptop in a couple of days I need to get my desktop working.

TIA
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can't install Oscar.
HI Ficklid22! - Welcome

I don't know what version of Windows you are having problems with, but I'm guessing it is Win11. If so, you need to check the permissions for your directory.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, it is Windows 11. I am the Admin on this computer and only user. So I have full rights to this directory.
Post Reply Post Reply
You might have rights, but what did it assign to OSCAR?  You need to add "Everyone" full read-write access to the OSCAR_data and its subdirectories. You have to understand that you aren't accessing this directory, OSCAR is.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not sure how to do that. Interestingly enough, the permissions are identical on the computer that is running OSCAR to the one that is failing to run OSCAR.  Huhsign
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll have to load up a VM Win11 tomorrow to see what new surprises they added to the Documents directory. I will get back to you.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
OK! I just updated my VM Windows 11, and lo and behold, it set my Documents folder and its subdirectories to Read Only.  To overcome this PITA, open your File Explorer (Win key+E).  Go to C:\Users\Your User Name.  Right-click on Documents and select Properties.  Deselect the Read-only and allow it to do the same for all subdirectories when you press the Apply button.

Next, select the Security tab and press the Edit button under the Group or user names.  Select the Add button. In the "Enter" box, type: Everyone.  After adding this group,  click on the name to highlight it, and then select Full control from the Allow column in the Permissions for Everyone.  

Note: Win11 will holler about doing this for your subdirectories, My Videos, My Music and My Pictures.   Select the Continue button for each warning.

Finally, select the OK button to exit.  You should now be good to go.

As a sidenote: Windows 11 required me to jump through several hoops, and having to select "Keep" several times, in order to download OSCAR. Not to mention how many times it kept asking me if I was sure that I wanted to install it. Jeez! A little overkill.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
That did the trick! Thank you Red!  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Microsoft WindowsTM:  "Protecting PC users from themselves since 1985"Rolleyes
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
Hello. 

I installed Oscar on my Windows 11 laptop in June 2022.  It worked for me at that time.  I haven't used or updated Oscar since then.  I decided to run Oscar this morning and I get the "Unable to write to OSCAR data directory C:/Users/John/Documents/OSCAR_Data" message.

I followed Crimson Nape's directions.  Tried running Oscar again and got the same message.  Then I tried executing File Explorer as admin and tried to follow Crimson Nape's directions again.  Same message.  

Then I added exclusions in Windows Security for the processes "Oscar" and "Oscar.exe" and the C:/Users/John/Documents/OSCAR_Data folder.  Tried Oscar again.  Same message.

Even after following Crimson Nape's directions, I notice that when I right click on the OSCAR_Data directory and select Properties, on the general tab, in the Attributes area, the check box for "Read-only..." is still checked.  Even though I unchecked as part of following the directions.

Does anyone have any ideas for me to try?

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can't install OSCAR on new laptop with Snapdragon processor stevessteves 5 231 10-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: cjw29
  Help, Re: "Install the Encore Pro2" henry777 10 590 07-06-2024, 07:54 AM
Last Post: henry777
  OSCAR Windows Portable No-Install CraigKevin 18 3,623 05-26-2024, 03:19 PM
Last Post: hmcb2b
  OSCAR Install Problems on Win 11 Pro [SOLVED, post #36] chzuck 35 2,599 05-08-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: chzuck
  [split] OSCAR v1.5.2 is Install Problems millerdq 1 455 03-27-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: LoudSnorer
Question Failed drive, now cannot install or uninstall Oscar jmac862 8 1,148 01-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: SGKent
  How To install prisma ts software ? Amir Eid 11 10,280 05-26-2023, 02:06 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.