Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What did aerophagia feel like for you?
What did aerophagia feel like for you?
Searching through the board, I noticed that aerophagia is mentioned quite frequently here and there.  But what did it feel like for you? Can the symptoms become severe?

The reason I ask is, starting about a month after pressure therapy, I wake up with a severe panicky feeling and chest/epigastric pressure. It was pretty bad, at one point I was in extreme distress, and I ended up going to the ER.  So far, cardiac and GI showed nothing, leaving aerophagia as the only other possible thing I can think of. It was embarrassing and expensive, I felt likea hypochondriac, but I am not one to normally complain by default.

So I am curious what anyone else's experience has been like with aerophagia.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What did aerophagia feel like for you?
Hello Cape67,

I experienced severe aerophagia during my titration study. My airway neck was narrowed most of the time due to chin tucking. I woke up an hour before the test was to end and felt like my ribcage had been beaten with a pipe. I also felt as if I had been blown up like a balloon.

I got the appointment on short notice because I was called to replace a cancellation and had to go to work that day. I came home, slept an hour and went to work. I had so much rib pain and other discomfort I drove the 30 minutes to work debating whether I should go to ER or urgent care. I put it off and I felt reasonably comfortable by mid afternoon after taking Gas-Ex and moving around.

DO NOT feel bad for going to ER. You are not a hypochondriac. You went due to a very real and painful condition. I'm glad it turned out to be nothing worse. 

Yes, when aerophagia is severe it can feel absolutely awful. Is it possible that you drop your chin toward your chest when you sleep? This can cause the pressurized air to move into your esophagus and progress through your GI tract. Many people feel relief from using a sort cervical collar (SVC) which creates proper neck/airway alignment so the air can go where it needs to.      

I hope this gets better for you quickly.
Post Reply Post Reply
Cape67, I feel for you!  Aerophagia can be horrible.  I've had two instances where I woke up in the middle of the night with aerophagia, got out of bed, and literally passed out from pain.  I have a pretty high pain tolerance, too.  But the specific pain from aerophagia can overwhelm the body pretty quickly if you get it bad enough.  So, definitely don't feel bad about an emergency room trip!

My experience is that aerophagia is very position-driven.  If I sleep on my left side or my back, I'm fine.  As soon as I roll to my right side, I start swallowing air.  My husband says he can tell right away when it starts - I begin gulping and burping air and although I don't wake up, it's loud enough to wake him up.  He's nice enough to poke me on the shoulder until I roll over, and that simple act saves me a lot of pain!

I don't show any sign of positional apnea or chin-tucking, so it seems to be a different anatomical issue.  Maybe I have a slightly deviated septum or something that routes the air differently when I'm on my right side?  Maybe I roll slightly forward or backward compared to my left side?  Who knows.  But for certain, I need to stay away from sleeping on that side to prevent aerophagia.

I hope you can find a solution to your challenge quickly!
Post Reply Post Reply
@LuminousOne - thanks for the words of encouragement. Yeah it was pretty rough.  I bought a soft collar on Amazon but it turned out to be way too small and too thick.  I used a chin strap and it worked well with nasal pillows, based off my AHI numbers anyway, but it felt constricting, like I was waking up to someone hugging my head lol. Strange feeling. I still have it, maybe I will dig it out and just live with it, idk.

@ArcherNeedsSleep - thanks, yes it's interesting, the difference between laying on your left side vs right. Perhaps it is more than a coincidence that they have you lay on your left side for an EGD (endoscopy,) which makes it easier to visualize the upper GI tract using "gravity assist" (secretions and air move down the tract better) and for anatomical easing of the procedure. Deviated septum is always a possibility as well I would imagine.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My solution to aerophagia with CPAP manacles 7 264 09-04-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: croc
  I feel guilty......... Big Guy 2 336 09-02-2024, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Fixed Aerophagia using a Halo style chin strap ISeekRem 0 166 09-01-2024, 03:45 AM
Last Post: ISeekRem
  Fix aerophagia for cheap VINEDIGGER 9 540 08-30-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: Jay Belmont
  Aerophagia while awake? donsburg 4 307 08-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
Gross [Symptoms] Does Sleep Apnea Patients feel Worse in 2nd Half of the day? raulmalik 14 595 08-14-2024, 10:29 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Dealing w aerophagia and probably UARS, Help Jstalez 19 697 08-10-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Jstalez

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.