Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central Apnea Help
Central Apnea Help
Hi ApneaBoard!

21 yr old female (BMI=23), I have been using the Resmed Airsense 11 CPAP for a week. I had 2 days where I felt a little bit better during the day but generally I am feeling just as bad as before therapy.

My sleep study showed no obstructive apneas, 4 central apneas, 1 mixed apnea, and 46 hypopneas. Prescribed pressure =  5-15, EPR = 2.

I am seeing large clusters of central events and an average of 2 obstructive events a night. Last night I turned EPR down to 1 which may have had a minor improvement but I think it's too soon to tell. I'm thinking of turning EPR off completely and/or possibly limiting the pressure to 10.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central Apnea Help
Hypopnea are what I'm assuming they're attempting to treat. Does the test state the diagnosis and/or doctor recommendations? You don't need to post a shot of them, just quoting it is sufficient.

It's possible for your no Obstructive Apnea present, with a few Central Apnea, to have the Hypopnea also be somewhat based on Central events. It likely will not state this though.

My suggested edits aren't based now on specific numbers. Maybe reduce EPR to 1 though, and see if it feels OK, if it reduces CA without reducing all/any other events. You'll aim for a balance between everything being acceptably low and feeling comfortably rested.

Note while dealing with Centrals, they are on one side of the treatment teeter-totter and everything else is on the opposite end. Push one end down (attempt to treat) and the opposite end goes up. There's the requirement to balance this out.

And it's perfectly OK to say things like I don't feel better for it. This is subjective, but we need to allow for it equally with objective data. You might need to fight doc more when basing issues subjectively, and that's fine.

You have to decide what the line is determining this CPAP therapy is acceptable or isn't. If it fails your personal grade, then fight to get a different machine. Next would be ResMed bilevel VAuto that can use the Trigger setting to diminish or avoid a few more CA than the AutoSet. You might need this next. Failing that ASV actually treats CA, while no other machine is capable to combat those consistently inconsistent Centrals.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central Apnea Help
Welcome

I see a couple of things. Your start pressure is too low for most adults. I suggest you raise it to 7. Leave your high setting as it is. Aside from needing more pressure, it will narrow your setting range which can help with sleeping more comfortably.

Since you had only 4 CAs in your sleep study, your high number of CAs now are treatment-emergent and will lessen on their own as time passes. Don't worry about them.

I would make the pressure change and set your EPR to 3. It will make your breathing more comfortable and, more importantly, it will lessen flow limits. Flow limits are short, unreported apneas, and we need to keep them low. Some lower or drop the EPR to try to lower the AHI, but I think it's more important to control the flow limits, and let the CAs decrease naturally.

Good luck! Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central Apneas? jared2000 3 108 Yesterday, 10:33 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Please interpret my Sleep Study Results for Central/Mixed Apnea at 4% desaturated lvl memoryNada786 6 231 10-13-2024, 12:39 AM
Last Post: memoryNada786
  treatment-emergent central apnea? CyberSparrow 2 223 10-06-2024, 09:02 PM
Last Post: CyberSparrow
  1 Week in - Treatment regimen central apnea? mikaelbb 3 246 10-03-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Increase in Central Apneas Luna G3 PAP Link Data thowle 8 369 10-01-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Zoll Remede System for Central/Cheyne Stokes Fixit50 2 202 09-26-2024, 04:05 PM
Last Post: Fixit50
  TreatmenT emergent central apnea Stracky 9 402 09-25-2024, 10:56 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.