Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Clear Airway Events Only - New User Help
Clear Airway Events Only - New User Help
Hi - I am a new CPAP user and have been using my AirSense 11 for about a week now. During the first few nights I was using the N30i mask and while my AHI was close to 0, I could not get used to the exhale pressure and couldn't make it through the whole night. I switched to the F30i and the comfort is miles better in terms of the exhale pressure, however my AHI has climbed a little bit - with only open airway/central apnea events. I am new to reading the OSCAR charts, but from what I can tell I am having some mask leaking. I suspect that this is due to being a side sleeper which is pushing the mask into the pillow. However, the timing of the OA events do not seem to directly align with the leaking. Is this cause for concern? Is there anything in the OSCAR chart that I'm missing?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Clear Airway Events Only - New User Help
I see nothing there that is a cause of concern. I suggest continuing to use it as is for a few more days and then check if anything has changed.
Post Reply Post Reply
The leaks are a small issue, probably one that will be easy to address by avoiding the mask deflection. Therapy looks good otherwise. CA despite being higher than anything else, are still very low. Grade this as minor, not even worth taking action about them. Most everyone will have a few of these CA, so again pretty good overall.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-03-2024, 10:38 AM)PeaceLoveAndPizza Wrote: I see nothing there that is a cause of concern. I suggest continuing to use it as is for a few more days and then check if anything has changed.

(09-03-2024, 11:50 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: The leaks are a small issue, probably one that will be easy to address by avoiding the mask deflection. Therapy looks good otherwise. CA despite being higher than anything else, are still very low. Grade this as minor, not even worth taking action about them. Most everyone will have a few of these CA, so again pretty good overall.

I've added a chart from when I used the N30i. Even though these results with the N30i are better, am I correct in thinking that my results with the F30i are still good enough and I should continue with the F30i if it provides improved comfort? Or are the results with the N30i worth pushing through the discomfort?

Post Reply Post Reply
Any details on the nasal mask discomfort? Is it requiring tightness to work? If yes, that's not going to be ideal.

I did see in your charts you're using default pressures 4-20 and probably trying EPR. Getting away from default is by itself a reason to edit settings. I would consider Min pressure 7 to allow full time EPR 3.

EPR will reduce exhale by the setting number, but it cannot reduce below 4. So your minimum pressure to get EPR working always is this:

Min pressure 5 EPR 1 equals 4
Min pressure 6 EPR 2 equals 4
Min pressure 7 EPR 3 equals 4

Follow this as minimums, your pressure minimum can be more than these, but not below these line examples if you want EPR to work without waiting for pressure to increase first.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-03-2024, 12:45 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Any details on the nasal mask discomfort? Is it requiring tightness to work? If yes, that's not going to be ideal.

I did see in your charts you're using default pressures 4-20 and probably trying EPR. Getting away from default is by itself a reason to edit settings. I would consider Min pressure 7 to allow full time EPR 3.

EPR will reduce exhale by the setting number, but it cannot reduce below 4. So your minimum pressure to get EPR working always is this:

Min pressure 5 EPR 1 equals 4
Min pressure 6 EPR 2 equals 4
Min pressure 7 EPR 3 equals 4

Follow this as minimums, your pressure minimum can be more than these, but not below these line examples if you want EPR to work without waiting for pressure to increase first.

I didn’t have discomfort with the actual nasal mask itself but with exhaling while wearing it.  With the nasal mask I felt a much stronger resistance when exhaling even though I had ESR set on 3 with this mask. I guess because all pressure is directed right up my nose with the nasal mask. Whereas with the full face hybrid, I was able to tolerate ESR of 1 because I had a much easier time exhaling than I did with the nasal mask. Since I had an easier time exhaling, I was more comfortable and able to sleep through the night with the full face hybrid (hence the longer session time noted in the snip).
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, makes sense on difficulty exhaling when expecting EPR to help but it can't with default pressures. Give those edits a try, it might make that nasal mask work better too.
Post Reply Post Reply
I started with the F30i, but it leaked and was uncomfortable.  Then I used the N30i for a short time but switched to the P30i and found it much more comfortable and it rarely leaked. It uses the same headgear as the N30i so you only need to obtain the mask if you want to try it. Just something to consider.

And yes, you need to set 7 as your minimum pressure.  Lower than that is not comfortable or therapeutic for most adults, and 4 is only there for small children to use.

Good luck! Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
I take a bit of a contrarian view on things…

A minimum pressure of 4 as has been stated is too low for most, but not all. Your chart shows quite a few arousal breaths which may or may not be related to pressure set too low. You have almost no flow limitations as well, which points toward your settings working well. Your AHI is fine. The leaks are nothing significant and as you noted may be from disturbing the mask against the pillow.

However, if you do not feel rested in the morning then actions need to be taken as pointed out by Deb and Dave. Typically to manage the arousal breathes it requires more pressure, but not too much as it may cause other problems.

I suggest going after things systematically and try increasing your pressure to 5 with EPR=1 (as Dave pointed out). From there you can see how things feel and how the chart looks to decide if further actions need to be taken. You can always add a bit more pressure and EPR depending on what is happening. If you go to more EPR and you get more centrals, then you need to back off EPR and/or increase pressure a wee bit.

If you wish to experiment, you may give CPAP mode (fixed pressure) a try with min=max=6 to see how you react to it. If needed you can even add EPR=1 to that.

The goal is to manage the OSA with as little pressure and pressure support as is required. Everyone is different so what works for one may not work for another.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-03-2024, 03:52 PM)PeaceLoveAndPizza Wrote: I take a bit of a contrarian view on things…

A minimum pressure of 4 as has been stated is too low for most, but not all. Your chart shows quite a few arousal breaths which may or may not be related to pressure set too low. You have almost no flow limitations as well, which points toward your settings working well. Your AHI is fine. The leaks are nothing significant and as you noted may be from disturbing the mask against the pillow.

However, if you do not feel rested in the morning then actions need to be taken as pointed out by Deb and Dave. Typically to manage the arousal breathes it requires more pressure, but not too much as it may cause other problems.

I suggest going after things systematically and try increasing your pressure to 5 with EPR=1 (as Dave pointed out). From there you can see how things feel and how the chart looks to decide if further actions need to be taken. You can always add a bit more pressure and EPR depending on what is happening. If you go to more EPR and you get more centrals, then you need to back off EPR and/or increase pressure a wee bit.

If you wish to experiment, you may give CPAP mode (fixed pressure) a try with min=max=6 to see how you react to it. If needed you can even add EPR=1 to that.

The goal is to manage the OSA with as little pressure and pressure support as is required. Everyone is different so what works for one may not work for another.

Thank you for the detailed response. I will try setting pressure to 5 with EPR = 1. How do you identify the arousal breaths? Also, I have ramp function turned on, is this advisable to leave on or turn off?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Many Undetected Apnea and Hypopnia Events Tabster 0 5 8 minutes ago
Last Post: Tabster
  [Diagnosis] Clear Airway, CSR events frolic 12 452 09-09-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Seeking Advice on BiPAP AirCurve 10 VAuto Settings for Upper Airway Resistance Syndro chacha897d 1 223 09-07-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  [Treatment] Unflagged events, treatment ineffective slatejetpack 4 185 09-05-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: slatejetpack
  Large Leak/UA Events since titration RainyDog 8 190 09-05-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Persistent CA events and fatigue with low-ish AHI ATT9791 11 628 08-28-2024, 09:50 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Need help with increased Clear Airway events zood 0 179 08-26-2024, 11:09 PM
Last Post: zood

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.