Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Confused about Events?
Confused about Events?
Hello. I was recently put on a CPAP machine a few weeks ago. The machine is an AirSense 11 with a F20 full face mask. The first few days, I was showing very low AHI around 5 or less. But what I failed to notice was that my leak rate was very high, maybe 30-50+ at some points. I have since adjusted my mask to be a little bit tighter which made the leak rate all but gone. But now I am showing AHI averages of 40+. I am wondering if this data shows more of an issue towards the mask or is it my sleep position. Let me know,

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Confused about Events?
Full Screenshot of OSCAR Data

Post Reply Post Reply
I’m not a settings kind of person, but I’m sure someone will be along…

In the meantime, do some analysis of your sleeping position. You’ll need to do whatever it takes to keep your airway (e.g. neck) from getting kinked and creating obstructions. You could look at positional apnea in the wiki, but you may also have ideas yourself. Is your head, for instance, propped onto a pile of pillows? Are you falling asleep on the couch? While sitting up? Do you have an especially long neck (this would be me) that goes like a gumby-giraffe in the middle of the night and benefits from support (I use a cervical collar to prevent this)?
Post Reply Post Reply
As HalfAsleep stated, your are experiencing Positional Apnea.

See this link to get a better idea what is happening and some things you can do to avoid it.

https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...onal_Apnea

Note:  Pressure adjustments usually have no affect on PA, but you might want to try adding EPR 2 which will drop your pressure a bit when exhaling and give more comfort.

When you get the PA under control, then we can look further to optimize your settings if needed.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks I'll Look into this and make some changes. From some of the research I saw, it looked to be a Positional issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
Note as well, after the Positional Apnea issue gets solved, you'll want EPR to be full time not just ramp only. This currently will turn off EPR with Ramp expiration, while it's much better to keep EPR on.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It seems the issue is sleep position related. I did not change any settings last night but I completed a two-fold approach. I slept the first part of the night on my side then woke up and used one of those airport neck pillows. It seems my current bed configuration my body is dipping in towards my chest like a V shape. This might be causing an issue breathing through my airways. My AHI dropped to 1.9 and never rose above 3 the entire night. Thanks for the help everyone! I'll still talk to my Provider about setting it to autoset with the higher pressure and see if sleeping in other spots can work as well.

I hope this can help others in the future, try changing your sleep position.

Post Reply Post Reply
Looks better. You can set EPR to full time if you'd like. And there's the AutoSet mode where it will self adjust as needed.

You can set this yourself within the clinical menu. Most here do this. Doctor isn't the only one allowed to edit this. Doctor and staff plus DME must follow the script, you aren't required to follow if a setting will make it a better therapy.

Clinical menu - click and hold both together Home and Dial for 5 seconds.

Order here your clinician manual for the AutoSet. Dig down until you find the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet link.

https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, will try those out. Will be no issue as the Dr. mentioned I'll have to go through the settings to find out what works the best.
Post Reply Post Reply
mikebox,
With the high Flow Limitation, Hypopnea and Reras, it would be a good time to try out adding EPR to the mix.
Go ahead and try EPR 3 and watch result results for a few days.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Clear Airway Events Only - New User Help pacc815 15 383 Yesterday, 11:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Diagnosis] Clear Airway, CSR events frolic 10 251 Yesterday, 08:35 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Treatment] Unflagged events, treatment ineffective slatejetpack 4 113 09-05-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: slatejetpack
  Large Leak/UA Events since titration RainyDog 8 135 09-05-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Persistent CA events and fatigue with low-ish AHI ATT9791 11 557 08-28-2024, 09:50 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Need help with increased Clear Airway events zood 0 150 08-26-2024, 11:09 PM
Last Post: zood
  [CPAP] Need help, crazy amount of flow limitations events on pressure increase testetst2212 6 326 08-25-2024, 10:59 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.