Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Is any fully at-home sleep study covered by insurance?
Is any fully at-home sleep study covered by insurance?
Hi, I'm glad to have discovered this forum!

I'm looking for a fully at-home (order and return by mail) sleep study that is covered by insurance. Or if I can't find that, an at-home sleep study that I could repeat multiple times in case I can't sleep, without having to pay for it again every time.

Long story:

I'm pretty sure I have sleep apnea. I also have insomnia caused by other health problems. So I don't sleep very much, and the quality of the sleep is not good either. I'm constantly exhausted, making everything a struggle.

I can't do a hospital sleep study because if I get covid, it would be worse than untreated sleep apnea. My doctor ordered a "home" sleep study, but I still had to spend a long time in a crowded hospital to pick up and return the equipment. And then I wasn't able to sleep during the study! I could try repeating it, but I'm not going back to that hospital again.

I wanted to just rent a CPAP machine to see if it helps. But as far as I know, no one will let me rent (or buy) a machine with or without insurance unless I get a sleep study first to prove that I deserve it.

My doctor suggested cpap.xxx but it doesn't accept insurance. I could afford it once without insurance, but if I don't sleep enough on the first try, I can't afford to keep repeating it.

Is there something like cpap.xxx that insurance might cover, or that would at least let me try more than once?

I hope someone here might know. Thanks!

-----
Moderator Action: DME Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, links to DME-owned or DME-operated websites and links to pages that sell prescription-required items are prohibited in forum posts.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is any fully at-home sleep study covered by insurance?
You have a few options I can think of at the moment.

1. Try to get another at-home study, but get one for 2-3 nights. Your odds of getting enough data to diagnose sleep apnoea go up with additional nights.
2. Buy a used machine out of pocket. Facebook marketplace and Craigslist frequently have low hour used machines available. They will be far less than the cost of new, and possibly cheaper than you would pay with insurance.
3. AXG sleep diagnostics and others from our Suppliers List do remote at-home studies, but do not accept insurance. Your insurance maybe willing to reimburse you as it will be cheaper than most usual paths, so talk to them first. A last resort, but it is out there.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Battery covered by insurance? Zombie on my Lawn 1 128 09-26-2024, 06:14 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Help with Sleep Study Results cjk422 8 318 09-25-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: cjk422
  Understanding sleep study results Moemah123 11 441 09-18-2024, 06:48 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Health] redoing my sleep study: weight loss, medication, etc. and insurance? human 1 171 09-15-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: human
  help with sleep study deciding on a new machine georgesadam 8 276 09-14-2024, 04:56 AM
Last Post: williamwu1107
  LAB sleep study help - feeling hopeless and lost georgesadam 5 274 09-13-2024, 03:19 AM
Last Post: georgesadam
  A new study ischua 9 385 09-08-2024, 07:49 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.