Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Massive bradypneas, scared
RE: Massive bradypneas, scared
Hi all,

Quick one, just to check with you. 

Since it seems my tidal volume is so low (280ml), and that I know I suffer from sleep apnea (mainly hypopnea though), and that I may be victim of OHS or CHS, shall I directly go for a BiPAP titration study ?

In Singapore, I need to chose between either CPAP or BiPAP. Each of them are $2K SGD and never reimbursed by any insurance (anything related to sleep is excluded), so I would like to make sure that BiPAP is the way to go.

Link to the website: https://www.sgh.com.sg/clinical-departments-centers/respiratory-critical-care-medicine/pages/sleep-disorder-unit.aspx

Thanks !

Thibaul
Post Reply Post Reply
Titration study shall determine appropriate PAP therapy...
Post Reply Post Reply
I would go straight to BiPAP study. The purpose is to see if pressure support can improve tidal volume and SpO2, as well as treat hypopnea. CPAP cannot treat respiratory insufficiency, and is a not an effective therapy for the kind of hypopnea you have; it requires pressure support to boost your inspiratory volume. The real question is whether you need a backup-rate on bilevel for the periods you seem to not spontaneously initiate a breath.

With costs like that for testing, if the tests cannot answer the above questions, I would just source an Aircurve 10 vAuto and buy it. It will tell us everything we need to know, and at least you'd own it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2018, 08:45 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I would go straight to BiPAP study. The purpose is to see if pressure support can improve tidal volume and SpO2, as well as treat hypopnea.  CPAP cannot treat respiratory insufficiency, and is a not an effective therapy for the kind of hypopnea you have; it requires pressure support to boost your inspiratory volume.  The real question is whether you need a backup-rate on bilevel for the periods you seem to not spontaneously initiate a breath.

With costs like that for testing, if the tests cannot answer the above questions, I would just source an Aircurve 10 vAuto and buy it. It will tell us everything we need to know, and at least you'd own it.

Awesome! Well, if I can save $2K thanks to the help of the forum, I would be more than grateful haha !

In that case I also need to find someone willing to buy over my PR Dreamstation which is only 6 months old, but that is another story :-)

More seriously, tomorrow morning I am going to see the pulmonologist and will ask hil the questions. But personaly, do you think it wouldn't just be worth buying the aircurve and DIY? Or BiPAP settings are way more tricky than CPAP/APAP ? (which I believe, but is there a real need for a relevant expert from sleep center to do so?)
Post Reply Post Reply
The unanswered, important question is whether you have central apnea, or just need some pressure support to get good volume. Any bilevel can provide the pressure support, but if you don't spontaneously initiate a breath, only ASV and ST will work. Unfortunately, we don't know the cause of the nearly flat-line breathing, but if there was any breathing effort at all, we can set the trigger on the Vauto to very sensitive, and it will provide IPAP.

Have you ever had any kind of sleep test?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2018, 10:59 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The unanswered, important question is whether you have central apnea, or just need some pressure support to get good volume.  Any bilevel can provide the pressure support, but if you don't spontaneously initiate a breath, only ASV and ST will work.  Unfortunately, we don't know the cause of the nearly flat-line breathing, but if there was any breathing effort at all, we can set the trigger on the Vauto to very sensitive, and it will provide IPAP.  

Have you ever had any kind of sleep test?

Yes I had one, but not a titration. just a PSG when I have been admitted at the hospital or panic attack 6 months ago, that I shared with you over email early this week.

So I have never been into a sleep center (yet).

The flat line breathing we saw is I am sure real, and caused by way too much alcohol.

Before last weekend, I was not doing any central apneas (as per the PSG I have done 6 months back, because no drinking 10 days prior to it).

Since then, I am doing a lot of centrals and am very concerned... As in either I am still hungover, or if my brain really got headwired for a very long period...

So i don't know what to do, and when to do the titration ?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm going to go out on a limb to address the uncomfortable topic of drinking. thibaulthib, most people are embarrassed by conspicuous over drinking but you've mentioned it in nearly all your posts. clearly you are aware that alcohol is seriously and negatively affecting your life and your physical health. as reported it seems to inhibit your ability to breathe. I can't think of a more compelling incentive than that to manage your consumption, quit or get help to quit. to my 'ear', your frequent references sound like you know there's a problem and are reaching out for help, in a way, but are thus far unwilling to do what you know you need to do, at least until you sort out your breathing issues. help is good but ultimately it comes down to each of us and no one else. no judgement. I have personal experience.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all,

Thank you for your support, really appreciate it.

Have just met with my pulmonologist for 1h, shared with him all the crazy Sleepyead results throughout the past 6 months.

He is convinced that:
- I have probably developed OHS when I was fat
- It may have evolved to only Central Aveolar after I slimmed down

There are too many alveols during my sleep even when I am sober, as well as a extremely low tidal volume.

He told me to get straight a Resmed vCurve S/T in rental for 2 weeks and bypass the sleep study since it will just confirm his diagnosis.

Then I will meet with him in 2 weeks with the sleepyhead results to confirm that BiPAP is the way to go.

I am going for an arterial blood test in 30min to confirm all this. Results in about 2h !

I keep you posted guys.

Thibault
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider, what is the difference between the following Resmed:
- Aircurve 10 ASV
- Aircurve 10 vAuto
- Aircurve 10 ST
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all,

Attached my blood gas results. It looks quite good though, maybe it is due because done over wakefulness?

Since I have issues swallowing solids for the past 3 years, and because of all the alveoles shape of my breathing over night while sober, and massive hypoventilation when drunk, my pulmonologist is sending me to a neurologist on tuesday.

Will keep you posted.

Thibault

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow [Diagnosis] Wating on a referal So scared Whitebeast18 8 277 08-13-2024, 07:39 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 471 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [CPAP] Massive leakage with new P30i unlockingsleep 2 573 02-25-2024, 03:14 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  Massive O2 saturation drop last night... SufiMindtricks 8 1,153 09-26-2022, 01:33 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  [Symptoms] I'm scared. Am I at risk of death? Or is my pulse oximeter acting up? 444stranger444 5 1,121 08-04-2022, 04:06 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Complex Apnea Diagnosis--VERY SCARED ColdHands 11 1,653 10-22-2021, 06:50 PM
Last Post: readingteacher
  i just had a massive battle in s9 autoset last night kaywai 7 1,135 02-22-2021, 12:13 PM
Last Post: kaywai

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.