Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Difference between S-Mode and VAUTO mode - Aircurve
Difference between S-Mode and VAUTO mode - Aircurve
I know this has been covered somewhere, but looking for a quick answer.

What is the difference between S-Mode and VAUTO mode on the ResMed Aircurve. I know how they function, but take this for example:

S-Mode: 15.0/11.0 
VAUTO Mode: 15.0/11.0 PS4.0

Are they exactly the same thing, or is there something with S-Mode that is different? I know these settings would show flow limits in VAUTO mode, but wondering if there is something I am missing. Thx.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Difference between S-Mode and VAUTO mode - Aircurve
S-mode is fixed pressure with set EPAP and IPAP pressure.
Vauto is auto adjusting pressure with EPAP min, Max IPAP pressure and PS
When EPAP plus PS equals IPAP in Vauto mode, the result is identical to S-mode. In your example above, you could set EPAP min 11.0, IPAP max 18.0 and PS 4.0, and the device would provide auto-pressure between 15/11 and 18/14.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok great. I wanted to double check if it provides the exact same therapy. I know 'EasyBreathe' is an option in S-Mode and wasn't sure if that did something different.
Post Reply Post Reply
Easybreathe is the pressure transition you feel between IPAP and EPAP on Airsense 10, 11 and the Vauto, S and ASV. Easybreathe can be turned off on the Aircurve VPAP S, and is not available on the ST. Without Easybreathe, the pressure is delivered as a square wave and can be modified by "rise-time", while Easybreathe shapes the pressure to look like a cresting wave. You can see it in the Mask Pressure graph. I don't know of any reason not to use Easybreathe as it is more comfortable and quieter.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
On Aircurve 11 VAUTO what the difference between these two settings? Wouldn’t they both be the same pressure, and act the same??

S-mode 15/11 
Or 
VAuto mode-15/11 PS-0
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi MrsMontoya!   -  Welcome
That would be incorrect.  The VAuto mode has provisions for EPAP starting pressure, maximum IPAP pressure and Pressure Support (PS).  To achieve the same settings as you listed for the S-mode, you would set the following:
EPAP: 11
IPAP: 15
PS:  4
The PS value is added to the EPAP pressure to arrive at the IPAP pressure.  So, 11+4=15.  Or, so I've been told. Big Grin

Your listing for the VAuto mode of 11 EPAP, 15 IPAP and a 0 PS, would make the EPAP and IPAP pressure the same through a pressure range of 11 to 15. Basically a standard AutoSet CPAP pressure range.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
I actually just posted a thread on a Dutch forum as I seriously doubt that this is correct. My experience is that, for me e.g.,, S-mode P 10 PS 5, Easy Breathe ON, trigger VH, cycle MED, Ti-min 0.3, Ti-max 4.0 does NOT resemble VAuto with the exact same settings. Please note that statements below are very subjective and I should generate data to support this, still, due to this recent thread I want to chip in.

1 - My subjective feeling is that S-Mode is better for me than VAuto when using the same settings (but I probably need VAuto mode to adjust P during REM).
2 - In OSCAR I noted that especially the 1st hour of my sleep my breathing flow rate (both in and out) looks better in S-mode than in VAuto mode; after about an hour they become comparable. This could explain my subjective feeling.
3 - Why does OSCAR not plot these very important settings in S-mode? I do not see Easy Breathe ON/OFF, nor all the trigger/cycle/Ti-min/Ti-max settings. This makes me doubt if the set settings are actually used, or is this a limitation from OSCAR.

I will need some time to verify this, but this subjective feeling is already there for some time. Curious about your experiences.

To be clear, I have a Dutch Resmed 10 VAuto with SW SX567-0401 and it seems models vary significantly per country. The US clinical manual does state trigger/cycle/Ti-min/Ti-max can be set in S-mode. I am looking for a Dutch clinical manual to see if settings differ from the US.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Mod Note] Are There Any Aircurve 11 ST ot ST-A Users? Crimson Nape 2 140 10-05-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Resmed Aircurve 10 VAUTO turning itself off and on throughout the night?? 17WRX 4 158 09-29-2024, 06:41 PM
Last Post: 17WRX
  acquired an aircurve vauto 10/self titrating eok361 9 414 09-26-2024, 07:41 AM
Last Post: eok361
  How should I set up my AirCurve 10 Vauto Josephkpc 14 591 09-25-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  AHI very high after switching from Dreamstation to Aircurve 10 mu50256 16 819 09-23-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: mu50256
  Aircurve 10 ASV kbjames 5 275 09-21-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: kbjames
  S-mode ovmeadows 4 250 09-19-2024, 08:48 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.