Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ASV is now experimental - Aetna clinical policy bulletin Feb 08, 2024
ASV is now experimental - Aetna clinical policy bulletin Feb 08, 2024
Aetna insurance denied my DME's final claim for my ASV in February, after approving the prior 10 claims, beginning May 2023.

The EOB stated the following;

General remarks; "Aetna doesn't cover health care services and procedures that are:

- Experimental in nature
- Still under investigation
- Not proven to be effective
There must be medical proof they help people maintain (or return to) better health. At this time, the
services and procedures aren't proven effective to treat your condition. This amount is your
balance if you signed an agreement with your provider to pay for non-covered services." 

Needless to say I found this inexplicable and so I appealed. The decision on the appeal arrived in the mail today and only now does it start to make any sense.

Long story short, on 2/8/24, Aetna changed their coverage such that my ASV is now considered an experimental therapy. The letter references this document; 

https://www.aetna.com/cpb/medical/data/1_99/0004.html

Cutting to the chase, here is the relevant section;

1. Treatment
  • The following are considered experimental, investigational, or unproven for the treatment of obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) in adults because the effectiveness of these approaches has not been established:
    1. A BiPAP device with a backup rate feature (e.g., adaptive servoventilation, VPAP Adapt SV) (see CPB 0452 - Noninvasive Positive Pressure Ventilation)
I don't really know what else to say. I'm lucky they approved 9 tenths of the claims before changing their policy. But in practice my high deductible meant I paid out of pocket anyway. This denied payment would only go to the deductible for this year as well, if it had been approved.

I'm going to appeal again anyway - my diagnosis includes central as well as obstructive apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ASV is now experimental - Aetna clinical policy bulletin Feb 08, 2024
The ASV is not intended to treat obstructive sleep apnea. It is intended, and is effective int he treatment of complex sleep apnea, central sleep apnea and periodic breathing. An internet search like "Efficacy of Adaptive Servo Ventilation Therapy (add condition optional" will turn up many published studies and findings. The articles often focus on congestive heart failure, cheyele stokes respiration, idiopathic central sleep apnea, complex sleep apnea, but the point is they are in recognized medical journals. Aetna does not get to reinvent the science unilaterally in order to limit their financial exposure.

If you need help obtaining ASV out-of-pocket, let us know. DotMed has been a good source for members.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Typical !! You pay insurance companies, Then when the time comes to
to pay benefits Your intitled to .. They act like Your pulling there teeth
without novacaine !!

I say it all the time .. The two worst things that ever happened to this Country
are lawyers and insurance companies !!
Post Reply Post Reply
As I said, a high deductible insurance plan means I'm paying out of pocket anyway. All I've really lost is $250 going towards that deductible, but we're 7/12 of the way through the year and I'm only 20% of the way through the deductible, after which Aetna starts paying out.

But I still intend to appeal on the grounds I also have central and complex apnea apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Did your prescribing physician diagnose you with Central Apnea, Complex, or Mixed Apnea? Or just Obstructive? If Central Apnea treatment isn't on the order, this can be the source of the experiential thought.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is my diagnosis copied from the doctors report;

G47.33 Obstructive sleep apnea (adult) (pediatric) 
G47.31 Primary central sleep apnea 
G47.37 Central sleep apnea in conditions classified elsewhere 
G47.10 Hypersomnia, unspecified

The DME told me that the first time they submitted a claim, they used only the obstructive sleep apnea code. Aetna was fine with that for all the claims except the last claim, which was submitted just after they released their bulletin where they changed policy. When that claim was denied the DME appealed and submitted all of my medical records, including all the other codes. But Aetna either didn't spot the other codes or didn't care.

I'm on appeal number 2 and I've highlighted that I also have central sleep apnea, which was not mentioned in their bulletin and thus for which ASV is not treated as experimental therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
DME, new way to spell DUMB
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eli Lilly Clinical Trials Sent ResMed Stock Tumbling car54 4 414 06-24-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: LuminousOne
  [Admin Note] Policy clarification [off-site advice & advice given via Private Message system] SuperSleeper 2 3,583 06-11-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Felt like I was suffocating last night! Changed too many Clinical Settings at once. JoshuaApneaProblems 3 765 01-17-2024, 05:56 AM
Last Post: Muggzy
  Medicare cpap 5 year replacement policy Sonno 4 819 09-11-2023, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Sonno
  Please explain airsense term on clinical settings rebean 2 640 08-11-2023, 09:29 AM
Last Post: rebean
  [Equipment] Somnetics Transcend 365 Clinical Menu? flipflop49 18 3,253 01-25-2023, 08:02 PM
Last Post: yankees123
Question ResMed S9 Clinical Settings dneilsen4580 3 706 11-25-2022, 12:22 AM
Last Post: dneilsen4580

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.