Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreamstation 2 shuts off every hour.
Dreamstation 2 shuts off every hour.
Well I have an interesting new problem with my Dreamstation 2.  I, like many other people received this as a replacement device from Philips after their fine previous devices spewed black, possibly carcinogenic foam into my lungs for years.

I've had it for about six months....I find it to be adequate.  

But it has developed a new and interesting problem that maybe someone else has experienced.  About 5 days ago I noticed while looking at the OSCAR reports of my nightly therapy that --- it is now shutting off therapy and (restarting within a second) turning it back on every hour or so.  For example, last night I had nine separate therapy sessions - 14 minutes 20 seconds, 1 hour 29 seconds, 1 hour 35 seconds, 1 hour 35 seconds, 55 minutes 10 seconds, 1 hour 36 seconds, 38 minutes 7 seconds, 1 hour 36 seconds, and 1 hour 28 minutes 2 seconds.  Phew.  All of these were contiguous (except the one bathroom break), as in "end 3:35:17" and the next "begin 3:35:18".  Very odd, when I look at the overview the evening looks like a ladder.

What in the name of lungfish is going on?

The timing does not seem to correspond with any respiratory events.  It also doesn't seem to be dropping the pressure at these times, meaning, it doesn't go back to the minimum pressure setting - as far as I can tell from looking at the reports.  There is a little break in the line of the pressure graph at each spot, that's it.  

The regularity of this pattern seems to indicate some sort of error with the machine/software, and not some new style of breathing I have suddenly developed that follows a clock.  It has happened every day for the past several days, and never ever happened prior to this.

I unplugged it from a power strip it had been on, and directly into a wall socket to see if the power strip may have been causing the problem but still the same result.

It is disconcerting, to say the least.  It may not even be a problem in terms of effective therapy....but I don't KNOW that it isn't, and sleep apnea being "a million little wakeups" already I certainly don't want to add in several more potential wakeups.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

(I am planning on calling Philips tomorrow, but I have very little confidence they will be of any help at all)

Thanks!

E

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dreamstation 2 shuts off every hour.
As others have run into the same issue, it's more than likely the Auto Start/Stop function.  

These threads may help:

https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread...#pid485388

https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread...ime-period
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Aha!  Thank you!

Yes, it appears that others are having the same problem that I am.  I'm not sure if anyone has found a satisfactory resolution....?

I looked at the Auto off and Auto On functions.  Auto off is and has been "off", but Auto On is enabled, and there is no place in either the provider menu or the patient settings menu to turn it off.  Wah.   I see this has also been the case with others.

As I search, I am finding that a "factory reset" doesn't seem to be an option available to me.  Maybe i'm wrong, but I'm a lookin.  There is no DME provider for me,  I'm on my own for providing a machine (which is fine by me).  Maybe I will have to make an appointment with my pulmonologist, who is truly a fantastic and very well respected doctor....but she may likely be as puzzled as I am.  She's a lung doctor....not a software engineer, and she shouldn't have to be....Or maybe she should?  Seems like enough work to constantly learn, help people, save lives, teach future generations of doctors, to then have to learn the intricacies and debugging of each different, possibly poorly designed machine.  But maybe there is just the person on her staff who can help.  Maybe I will get away with just a copay and a ferry ride across the East River. 

Thanks so much for chiming in on this.  I really appreciate it!

TBD as to how this all ends up.....

E
Post Reply Post Reply
If a DME has to use their software to change this, then I'm guessing that it writes a configuration file to the SD card, to be read by the DS2 when inserted back in it. Someone needing this modification should take note of all the current files on the card prior to the DME visit, and compare the difference after returning. They could then copy this file and make it available to others needing it.

Just my thoughts . . .
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-04-2023, 05:07 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: If a DME has to use their software to change this, then I'm guessing that it writes a configuration file to the SD card, to be read by the DS2 when inserted back in it.  Someone needing this modification should take note of all the current files on the card prior to the DME visit, and compare the difference after returning.  They could then copy this file and make it available to others needing it.

I hardly ever quote an entire post, but THIS ONE ^^^ needs to be repeated.

We need a solution to reverse engineer this setting so that patients can take back control over this Auto On/Off function. 
It's INSANE that Philips has made this accessible to only the provider.   Oh-jeez 

YES, if anyone is going to have your DME turn off the Auto On/Off setting, PLEASE first copy your SD card configuration files to your PC before you take your machine to them, so after the visit, those file(s) can be compared to the new settings, and perhaps give everyone the ability to turn this setting off via a simple edit of a config file.

Agreed

ADDED:  HEY PHILIPS!  -- quit being our Nanny and let us control our own therapy!  Perturbed
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
My mom's machine is doing the same thing! Would love to see a solution to this.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I'll be....there it is....look at the gaps:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Followup.

Philips is saying they (possibly) want me to send them a .zip of the SDCARD. We shall see.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lucky7, 

How did you contact Philips?  I have nightmares from the last time I tried to contact them and blocked all memories of the event from my mind.

I figure the more complaints the better.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Also in terms of updates --

My machine has not exhibited "the problem" (of random disconnects) for the last two nights.

The only change I made was to bump my minimum pressure from 7 to 8.  As I pored over the Oscar data it seemed like it wouldn't hurt.  I was also hoping just a change, any change might shock the machine into behaving properly.  I'm sure that didn't "fix the problem", and expect tomorrow morning when I look at the data from tonight the 'ol disconnects will be back.  But it is of note, I suppose.

I really appreciate all who have chimed in on this.  Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Newbie: can't stay asleep longer than 1 hour with mask on KianaBeth 8 320 09-17-2024, 12:44 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] Wake up every half hour skoggy 8 633 08-23-2024, 05:03 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  New to CPAP, sleep Study had me at 90 events an hour jcpose 2 233 08-15-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: jcpose
  Waking up every hour Hauko 14 958 06-17-2024, 06:52 AM
Last Post: Hauko
  Does 10 EEG arousals/hour mean sleep apnea? BigWing 0 236 06-12-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  10 AHI per hour with cpap - normal? mickapoo 30 2,032 05-18-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Fall asleep and wake up in an hour with CPAP nicchamilton 4 455 05-15-2024, 07:52 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.