Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Drug induced Central sleep apnea
Drug induced Central sleep apnea
Drug induced Central Sleep Apnea, Cheyne Stokes.

Im 73, and since I was 50 I have used CPAP sucessfully for Obstructive sleep apnea. Then I had a stent operation 7 months ago, and afterwards doctors ordered an antipatalet drug, Plavix(clopidogrel 75mg daily for 6 months) Within a week after drug startup, my AHI levels rose from below 5 to ~40. At my Oscar readings I noticed, that the reason was the apperance of Central apneas and Cheyne Stokes Respiration, which wasnt there before I took the drug. 7 days after stopping the drug, Central apneas dropped to 0.1%, and normal sleep restored, and daytime function slowly regained. 

During the period of medication, I had fractioned sleep pattern, excessive nightly sweat, daytime tiredness, and very low oxygen levels and my hearts Ejection fraction decreased severely during the time, and doctors wonderd why, but didnt believe in the Plavix Side effect. They thought that only Brilique had that sideeffect on apneas. 
Hope I can bring some help to others in the same situation. Talk to your doctor before dropping the medicine, as is is important to prevent strokes after heart surgery.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greetings From India - Is it Sleep Apnea or GERD or Anxiety ? EastWeekender 5 90 1 hour ago
Last Post: OpalRose
Question Central Apnea - Treatment Emergent vs Altitude ausername 4 136 Yesterday, 05:50 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Central Apnea Help winterwaveforms 2 131 10-15-2024, 01:28 PM
  Central Apneas? jared2000 3 146 10-15-2024, 10:33 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Symptoms] Fatigue from sleep apnea Person 6 199 10-13-2024, 05:59 PM
  HELP: Sudden drastic worsening of Sleep Apnea - Can't sleep at all, CPAP completely u Unkikonki 10 464 10-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Please interpret my Sleep Study Results for Central/Mixed Apnea at 4% desaturated lvl memoryNada786 6 250 10-13-2024, 12:39 AM
Last Post: memoryNada786

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.