Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] High leakage for high pressure
High leakage for high pressure
Hi,

I've been on cpap for roughly 15 years and my pressure was set at 15 but ive come down to 13. I've had constant problems with leakage, my leakage is around 40L/min. I've tried masks from F&P and Resmed. My masks "farts" if I have it too loose and I have to end up really pulling the straps tight.

I'm looking for any suggestions?

Many thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: High leakage for high pressure
First, I'd monitor the therapy with OSCAR, the free report tool. This includes your leak rate.

If your leaks are at 40, it's much too high to get therapy. The machine cannot track events accurately, and you're likely uncomfortable with a tight mask. I've used Fisher and Paykel masks, from Simplus to Vitera now on Evora Full. All 3 are modestly snug at most. Leaks will most likely increase the tighter you adjust, because you're distorting and crushing the seal.

Things to change? Mask cushion size, model, how you adjust including tension. Do not make it tight. Snug is not tight.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I might reduce pressure to 10 for a few nights to see how that goes. I used to have a F&P Icon and the resmed unit seems to output a lost more.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a cloth pad between the cushion and my face, and the farts do not occur. In the trade, I get a slow breeze leak path thru that pad material. But, the leaks are well under the "Large Leak" level. It allows me to leave the straps looser.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Setting a high EPR (i.e. 3) can reduce leaks somewhat.
Post Reply Post Reply
We can better help you if you download and use Oscar, our free apnea reporting program that shows us many details of each night's sleep.  At the top of each page, in the black section, you will see a link for Oscar that tells you all about it.

Good luck! Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] Very high amounts of periodic breathing / CSR ? gregbe2000 13 289 Yesterday, 01:50 PM
Last Post: gregbe2000
  Optimizing CPAP - high pressures adlondon 3 209 09-13-2024, 03:15 PM
Last Post: georgesadam
  pattern in high resolution mask pressure in resmed device rberry1 1 156 09-11-2024, 07:51 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Is high pressure better - help to optimize grzkar 1 172 09-07-2024, 07:43 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  New User 1 week, still high AHis, thoughts? JacksonMahoney 4 219 08-31-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Is it normal for Resmed 10 blowing noise to be very noticable at high pressure >13 snortle 4 268 08-29-2024, 09:49 PM
  [Treatment] High CAs, Need Some Direction BobbyApnea 9 403 08-29-2024, 09:46 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.